Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2000 Impala, shakes when slowing down Please help

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Impala, shakes when slowing down Please help

I got my 00 Impala in Sept 10. It was in perfect shape when we bought it, except it needed some brake work. We had new pads and rotor's put on. We had it done at Midas, who also tried to upsell us on some other items. They said we needed new tie rods and wheel bearings and wanted 1400 dollars to do this! They also said the car had a major oil leak, which I know is BS because we maybe put a couple quarts in the car since we've owned it. So anyway a few months ago the car started to shake when you slow down, it is worse at high speeds. And then the ABS light came on, the cruise control stopped working and the traction control stopped working.

We did make an attempt to do the tie rods ourselves, but we were told that it is not the tie rods by another person.... and that they were fine. Also it has good tires on it. I called Midas back and they said the wheel bearings can def cause this issue, but... everyone else I've talked too says no.

Any advice? The only thing I've heard was warped rotors, but I don't know how that could be because they are only 8 months old...
Old May 4th, 2011, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

I also wanted to add the brakes to squeek.... they did this before AND after they were replaced!
Old May 14th, 2011, 8:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Warped rotors?
Old June 1st, 2011, 9:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Blue could be right but the brakes were just serviced. Problem could be dangerous. What is the mileage of the car. Cheap rotors will overheat and wear out quickly? I wouldn't take my car to Midas if they PAID me to due it. Returning it to Midas may cause more lousy work. How much did they charge you for the brakes? There is no telling WHAT they did to the brakes or what they will do to the brakes. $1400 for the work you mentioned is rediculous. Write to the BBB and maybe they can do something but DO not return the car to them! You will have to find a reputable mechanic and get his opinion. They are hard to find. Sorry to hear of this but keep your cool. ( Your recourse is small claims court but demand your money back. Do NOT take it back to them even if they claim they will fix it.)
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

We got it to a regular mechanic and had it checked out. It is the tie rod after all. And they are going to charge us under a 100 dollars to fix it! It was not 1400 to do the brakes, that is the price I was quoted to do the tie rods and wheel bearings. Which I did not have done with them. I think the brake jobs with new rotors and all was around 300.00
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Depending on where the shaking is coming from, it could also be warped rear rotors. I think is you feel it in the steering wheel, its the front and if you feel it in the pedal, its the rear. but I could have that backwards. Also, just because you had your rotors replaced does not mean its not your rotors again. Various things can cause your rotors to warp or they could have been defective or simply cheap rotors. Dont skimp on your braking system. Buy the best! And remember to change the hardware out too.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
CF Junior Member

My dad has a 2004 and I replaced the frt pads and rotors. He drove to Florida and came back with pulsation. I put on the same rotors that I use on my own vehicles and mine are fine, maybe 20k km and dad has the problem again. Must be because the way he drives.