Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

A/C can't hold freon

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2011, 2:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C can't hold freon

Hi I'm a proud owner of a 2002 3.4 Chevy Impala, love my car but since last summer I been having problems with the A/C. I filled up the freon and it would only give me cold air for like a week. I put on a vacuum on it to check for leaks and its holding on the pressure so it doesn't seem to be a leak.

Some one told me they had a similar problem and it was a bad O ring when under vacuum it held fine but once it had pressure the other way it would leak. Some one else told me to check if the system had a filter that cost about 8 bucks. Does any one else have or had the same problem and if you did what was the solution?
Old July 16th, 2011, 2:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by VCDRNY
Hi I'm a proud owner of a 2002 3.4 Chevy Impala, love my car but since last summer I been having problems with the A/C. I filled up the freon and it would only give me cold air for like a week. I put on a vacuum on it to check for leaks and its holding on the pressure so it doesn't seem to be a leak.

Some one told me they had a similar problem and it was a bad O ring when under vacuum it held fine but once it had pressure the other way it would leak. Some one else told me to check if the system had a filter that cost about 8 bucks. Does any one else have or had the same problem and if you did what was the solution?
I'd suggest adding dyed refrigerant in the system, it SHOULD show where it is leaking. I had same issue with my 96 Lumina, dyed refrig didn't show up. Had to replace the compressor due to a squealing cluth bearing, turns out it was an O ring from the discharge line that was leaking. Got two problems solved at once.