Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 Chevy Impala LS Air Conditioner and Heat Problems

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2001 Chevy Impala LS Air Conditioner and Heat Problems

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this issue before I go to the mechanic and have my car repaired...I have a 2001 Chevy Impala LS with approximate 164k miles....Over the last two years my card has been giving me troubles one thing after another. I have replaced the wheel bearings, coolant fan, two tires, and two tire rods. Well, lately my air conditioner and heat has become the next issue. Whenever I turn the heat or air on I hear this humming noise coming from inside of the car but whenever I turn the heat or air off it stops. Then my air conditioner no longer blows out cool air only warm; however, my heat works fine but when I turn on my defroster to defrost my windows so I can see it will not work with the air on and works extremely slow with the heat. Another issue is whenever I get out of my car I smell smoke...I looked underneath the hood to see if I see smoke or fire and I don't see anything...it smells as if something is burning. I don't know what else to do with this car... I had this car for 8 years so I'm trying to salvage as much as I can to prevent a car note...Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old December 10th, 2009, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

over time your refrigerant, R134, will leak from the system. 9 years, depending on where you live, is a reasonable time to consider recharging your system. talk to a buddy at the local car shop, or go autozone or like store and pick yourself up a $35 recharge kit. it'll have the instructions and refrigerant you'll need to get your a/c back in working order. this will only solve your problem if the only symptom is that your car won't blow cold air. what i mean is, if the fan blows when you have the thermostat in "the blue", it's most likely a refrigerant leak or simply a loss of coolant over the 9 year period that the vehicle has been in operation.
Old August 7th, 2010, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Hello I got a knocking sound in my dash when i turn my heater or ac on it start to knock then it quits this happen everytime i start my car can someone help me with this i can"t take it no more i hate the knocking sound thanks