Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 Impala dim dash and console lights

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2012, 5:19 AM
Hex
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Impala dim dash and console lights

Hi I have a 2001 Chevy Impala LS 3.8L, not too long ago my dash and console lights went dim and are very difficult to see at night, the headlight switch doesn't do anything when you go to adjust the brightness. I would guess the rheostat in the headlight switch has gone bad or would this be an issue within the BCM?

If at all possible if you guys could dig up a wiring diagram on the headlight switch that would be amazing.
Old September 14th, 2012, 7:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your lights are going dim on your dash, and you are sure that nothing is wrong with the switch, then you probably have an issue with your alternator. I would take it into a shop and get your alternator checked. There is a chance that your battery could be going bad as well, but you would notice it in your interior lights and power locks too.

Last edited by Jeff Collision; September 17th, 2012 at 1:49 AM.
Old September 14th, 2012, 6:59 PM
Hex
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jeff Collision
The dash light is controlled through the headlight switch. The **** that you pull out for the headlights also rotates to brighten and dim the dash lights. Make sure that the **** did not get turned some how and turned your dash lots all the way dim. Rotate the **** clockwise with the headlights on and see if the lights brighten up. If they don't, it could be a bad dimmer in the headlight switch.
As i stated earlier that **** doesn't do anything when you go to turn the brightness of the dash lights up or down.
Old September 15th, 2012, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Ya sounds like a bad dimmer to me too.... Check your local scrap yards for your generation impala to snag a switch out of. A lot cheaper than getting the dealer to do it.... Just be sure to check it for proper functioning before you buy it. Wouldn't wanna buy another busted switch to replace YOUR busted switch!
Old September 28th, 2012, 5:26 AM
Banned

Thanks for sharing such a vital information, actually I am looking for information regarding. Now this thread definitely help me a lot.