Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 Chevy Impala issues...help please?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2013, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Impala issues...help please?

Hey there all! My name is Ashley, and I am the current owner of a 2002 Chevy Impala 4 doorsedan, front wheel drive, V6. I am not to sure if it's a 3.4L or 3.8L...Sorry not to sure will go check later. :/

I bought the car December 6th 2012 from a local tow yard, it had sat with out being driven for 32 days, but when I went to look at the car it started right up and everything seemed to be working just fine. Very clean interior, no dents, or major scratches. It has custom tint, head/tail lights, and sound system. The previous owner took care of this beauty was my initial thought. The car being in a tow yard was buy as is, and they wouldn't let me test drive. I guess I should have maybe thrown up a red flag there but bought the car for $2,200.00, which at the time I thought was a steal! I immediately get my tabs, registration, and insurance. I keep the car parked until I was able to have my oil and oil filter changed, also had my radiator flushed. Hoses all checked and are in fair condition. I had my air filter changed, along with a new battery. After having all of this done I felt as if my car was road ready and I started to use it for getting to and from work.

So problem one: My car would start fine drive just fine but idle rough and when I would slow down for a turn would die if I didn't make a complete stop. After much frustration and many scares, my supervisor said to look into my catalytic converter. so I did just that, I went to a local muffler shop and the man, said my spark plugs had been misfiring, causing my converter to get 3/4 plugged and he replaced the converter and "cleaned out my exhaust" for $250.00. I drove off and had the same problems going home, I called the man who did the repairs and he said I needed to get my plugs replaced because it would keep doing that until I changed them. So very shortly after I went to my local Auto Zone and bought new plugs, thinking they were pre-gaped (the store associate told me they were). I had someone replace the plugs, and my car seemed to do OK for 2 days. Then just would randomly die out here and there. So I went to my local car dealership whom the owner is a long time family friend. He towed my car down for free, ran a multi-point inspection for free, and even unlocked my car stereo for free (locked after I changed the battery.)! After doing all of that, the young man in charge of the service department told me I had a sensor problem with my oil sensor, the light kept coming on but my levels were just fine. He said a random misfire code went off, and said that usually means spark plug issues and that they aren't pre-gaped and if I put new plugs not properly gaped into my car then they were now "fouled" and I would need to get all new ones. After telling me that, he went on to say that my fuel pressure regulator was cracked and instead of leaking outside of the engine making it super noticeable it was leaking into my engine causing build up and failure. So they replaced my fuel pressure regulator and did and engine induction service costing me $550.00. I drove off thinking OK good. I drove off planning to get new plugs, but had a family emergency and had to be with a family member during surgery. I had to drive and stay at this hospital an hour away. As I was leaving for home one night my car wouldn't start at all and it was 9pm in a hospital parking lot meaning no one around to even attempt to jump it. I found a ride home called the local dealership again they went up and towed my car for free ran another multi-point inspection for free and found that my fuel pressure regulator had cracked again due to a defect, and under parts warranty replaced my part for free but charged me for labor. Costing me $340.00. So thinking my car problems are over for the time being because my car had been running for two weeks, then begins...
Problem two: Two weeks into my car running just fine, I go out to start my car to go out to work and I didn't turn the ignition all the way over an of course did a half start (like started to start/turn over but didn't). Me knowing that it was my fault went to start the car and this time wouldn't turn over all all just kept making the noise like it was going to but wouldn't turn over! I waited for about 10 min tried again and still wouldn't start. My lights, radio, and even wiper blades would turn on, but car wouldn't start at all. I went inside wanting to rip my hair out found a ride to work. I got off at 8pm got home around 8:30pm and decided to hell with it I will try to start it, and a surprise to me started right up. Also started right up the next day when I went to work and worked for a few days with no issues at all. One day at work, while attempting to go on my lunch break I didn't fully turn the ignition over again and it wouldn't start after several attempts, thought ok I will finish my work day and hopefully it starts again. Well I went back 8 hours later and it still wouldn't start, it sat at my work for 3 days and each day I tried to start it with no luck, everything turned on but car wouldn't start. I had it towed home and there it's sat for 3 weeks, and to this day lights, radio, wiper blades, a/c and heat all turn on but car won't start. I am easily over $3,500.00 into this car and at this point am wondering if it's worth fixing, or just calling a total loss? Does it seem like maybe my lack of car knowledge led me to get taken advantage of slightly? What could be the problem or problems? Please help!! I also apologize for the length and overage of details....
Old May 1st, 2013, 3:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My experience with misfire (random) is fuel issue not ignition. You need a ticker to check for injector pulse i.e is each one getting impulse while cranking? Ticker is like a high speed test light. Make sure the injectors are getting signal, if so, I'd say not knowing fuel condition in the past (nor present) replace the injectors is my suggestion. I should ask is the check engine light on, if so, have one of these "reputable" mechanics give you the code(s)
Old May 1st, 2013, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

I guess I had forgotten to add I changed my fuel filter and added a gas treatment, if that helps at all? Doubt it though....My check engine light is not on, actually only "warning" light that pops up is "high beam out" and "low engine oil". They checked the levels and said they are just fine and the oil looks great (me thinking well yea I just had the oil changed). They said it's just a sensor that's bad. When doing the Multi-point inspection said my CV joints were flinging grease meaning I needed to add grease or replace my CV joints soon. I have asked 3 times via phone for them to mail me all of the codes that came up both inspections, and received nothing, and have gone down there and requested one with no luck as "service was busy or not in" I have the inspection sheet and everything looked good besides the CV joints, tire condition, "bad sensor", "random misfire", and my fuel pressure regulator. I am at wits end it seems. If it is the injectors how much would that run me? Any other possibilities that could be going on as well? THANK YOU SOO MUCH for your reply as well, I really appreciated it!
Old May 1st, 2013, 4:41 PM
CF Monarch

In my mind your issue is fuel related. Injector cleaner is fine, however you don't know the vehicles fuel history. Filter is good. Filter will not stop water, could be gummed injectors. Cost of injectors isn't near what you've spent. I don't know if it is a 3.4 or 3.1 engine, but about $40 a peice x 6= $160. I'd suggest IF you have the pulse for injector, have them removed, and cleaned. I'd also add have them ultra sonic cleaned.
Old May 1st, 2013, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

I had my brother run out and check he says it's a 3.8L. Could taking them out and cleaning them at home be possible or do I have to take it in to a shop to have it done?

"You need a ticker to check for injector pulse i.e is each one getting impulse while cranking? Ticker is like a high speed test light."

Is that something I can only have done at a shop as well. I really want to avoid a shop if at possible. I feel like I have been taken advantage of, and while that's not the case all the time, it's bothered me and put a bad taste in my mouth for shops.
Old May 1st, 2013, 5:42 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by ashleym.felix
I had my brother run out and check he says it's a 3.8L. Could taking them out and cleaning them at home be possible or do I have to take it in to a shop to have it done? Yes, but ultra sound will break loose any small stuff.

"You need a ticker to check for injector pulse i.e is each one getting impulse while cranking? Ticker is like a high speed test light." You can get one for around 5 bucks at an auto parts store

Is that something I can only have done at a shop as well. I really want to avoid a shop if at possible. I feel like I have been taken advantage of, and while that's not the case all the time, it's bothered me and put a bad taste in my mouth for shops.
I hear ya. Again in MY MIND this is fuel related.
Old May 1st, 2013, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Well Thank you sooo much! You have been a great help! I will be looking into that ASAP!
Here's another question...The Engine Induction Service that was done on my car, I was under the impression that with that the ENTIRE engine and parts would have been cleaned out...by the way the man in charge of service made it sound. Does that only clean out specific parts? Sorry I am so full of questions, but hey atleast I am trying to learn more about it!
Old May 1st, 2013, 6:51 PM
CF Monarch

Best of luck! If what was suggested didn't work, or if it did, please post back.
Old May 1st, 2013, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

I will be sure to post updates as the repairs come along!
Old May 1st, 2013, 9:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ashleym.felix
Hey there all! My name is Ashley, and I am the current owner of a 2002 Chevy Impala 4 doorsedan, front wheel drive, V6. I am not to sure if it's a 3.4L or 3.8L...Sorry not to sure will go check later. :/

I bought the car December 6th 2012 from a local tow yard, it had sat with out being driven for 32 days, but when I went to look at the car it started right up and everything seemed to be working just fine. Very clean interior, no dents, or major scratches. It has custom tint, head/tail lights, and sound system. The previous owner took care of this beauty was my initial thought. The car being in a tow yard was buy as is, and they wouldn't let me test drive. I guess I should have maybe thrown up a red flag there but bought the car for $2,200.00, which at the time I thought was a steal! I immediately get my tabs, registration, and insurance. I keep the car parked until I was able to have my oil and oil filter changed, also had my radiator flushed. Hoses all checked and are in fair condition. I had my air filter changed, along with a new battery. After having all of this done I felt as if my car was road ready and I started to use it for getting to and from work.

So problem one: My car would start fine drive just fine but idle rough and when I would slow down for a turn would die if I didn't make a complete stop. After much frustration and many scares, my supervisor said to look into my catalytic converter. so I did just that, I went to a local muffler shop and the man, said my spark plugs had been misfiring, causing my converter to get 3/4 plugged and he replaced the converter and "cleaned out my exhaust" for $250.00. I drove off and had the same problems going home, I called the man who did the repairs and he said I needed to get my plugs replaced because it would keep doing that until I changed them. So very shortly after I went to my local Auto Zone and bought new plugs, thinking they were pre-gaped (the store associate told me they were). I had someone replace the plugs, and my car seemed to do OK for 2 days. Then just would randomly die out here and there. So I went to my local car dealership whom the owner is a long time family friend. He towed my car down for free, ran a multi-point inspection for free, and even unlocked my car stereo for free (locked after I changed the battery.)! After doing all of that, the young man in charge of the service department told me I had a sensor problem with my oil sensor, the light kept coming on but my levels were just fine. He said a random misfire code went off, and said that usually means spark plug issues and that they aren't pre-gaped and if I put new plugs not properly gaped into my car then they were now "fouled" and I would need to get all new ones. After telling me that, he went on to say that my fuel pressure regulator was cracked and instead of leaking outside of the engine making it super noticeable it was leaking into my engine causing build up and failure. So they replaced my fuel pressure regulator and did and engine induction service costing me $550.00. I drove off thinking OK good. I drove off planning to get new plugs, but had a family emergency and had to be with a family member during surgery. I had to drive and stay at this hospital an hour away. As I was leaving for home one night my car wouldn't start at all and it was 9pm in a hospital parking lot meaning no one around to even attempt to jump it. I found a ride home called the local dealership again they went up and towed my car for free ran another multi-point inspection for free and found that my fuel pressure regulator had cracked again due to a defect, and under parts warranty replaced my part for free but charged me for labor. Costing me $340.00. So thinking my car problems are over for the time being because my car had been running for two weeks, then begins...
Problem two: Two weeks into my car running just fine, I go out to start my car to go out to work and I didn't turn the ignition all the way over an of course did a half start (like started to start/turn over but didn't). Me knowing that it was my fault went to start the car and this time wouldn't turn over all all just kept making the noise like it was going to but wouldn't turn over! I waited for about 10 min tried again and still wouldn't start. My lights, radio, and even wiper blades would turn on, but car wouldn't start at all. I went inside wanting to rip my hair out found a ride to work. I got off at 8pm got home around 8:30pm and decided to hell with it I will try to start it, and a surprise to me started right up. Also started right up the next day when I went to work and worked for a few days with no issues at all. One day at work, while attempting to go on my lunch break I didn't fully turn the ignition over again and it wouldn't start after several attempts, thought ok I will finish my work day and hopefully it starts again. Well I went back 8 hours later and it still wouldn't start, it sat at my work for 3 days and each day I tried to start it with no luck, everything turned on but car wouldn't start. I had it towed home and there it's sat for 3 weeks, and to this day lights, radio, wiper blades, a/c and heat all turn on but car won't start. I am easily over $3,500.00 into this car and at this point am wondering if it's worth fixing, or just calling a total loss? Does it seem like maybe my lack of car knowledge led me to get taken advantage of slightly? What could be the problem or problems? Please help!! I also apologize for the length and overage of details....
That is a bad IAC (Idle air control) that is causing the hard idle and kill when you slow down.

Quick Reply: 2002 Chevy Impala issues...help please?