Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 Chevy Impala issues...help please?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2013, 9:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brok
That is a bad IAC (Idle air control) that is causing the hard idle and kill when you slow down.
Also if they had that under warranty they should not be charging you for the cost of labor. The mechanics are taking advantage of you being a woman and knowing that you do not know many mechanical aspects. First off never trust the first mechanic. Always get a few opinions that way you can be like well the last one quoted me this, then take into assumption what you think would be the best option. The guy saying 20 parts are bad for $1000, or the person saying a couple parts are bad which most you can DIY (Do it yourself) simple 2 bolts pieces to take off and put on. With one electrical end to connect in.

In answer to problem two. There is only two main reasons that would happen from what you explained. Bad or failing battery, or your starter has gone bad and can not crank the engine over as easily which you can usually hear. I had an old Ford LTD that I had that problem on. Starters are only 2 bolts and a ground and are really easy to replace yourself say you have the 10-20 minutes to do it. They usually sit under the gar and will run horizontally to the engine. They can sit multiple areas but on the Impale I believe they sit usually off the front of the car halfway down under the engine and you can usually see them from the top depending if it is the 3.4 model or 3.8 model. My car is pretty similar to what you own as a Chevy Owner.

Last edited by Brok; May 1st, 2013 at 9:13 PM.
Old May 14th, 2013, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

I have an Issue myself anyone with any info please help! Hey guys I need help trouble shooting my Girlfriends car for her. She has a 2001 Chevy Impala and it has been giving us issues lately with the security system and Windows. First off her Security system will act off the fristz once in a while. She will have to put her key in acc mode for 10 minutes and wait till it starts. sometimes all she has to do is fturn the key back and forth and it works. another issue that has been coming up with her car is her windows sometimes will not go up or down. The window button will make a clicking noise and none of the windows will budge.. I have been looking online all day and the connection i found with both issues is the BCU. Im not sure if the BCU is going out or if there is a short in her car somewhere. Another side note is she has the key fob but we cannot program it dude to the fact the dealer the car was purchased from installed a different head unit from a pontiac sunfire. Please any help or info about Programming the key fob any other way and fixing the window issues and security bypass will be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
Old August 11th, 2013, 4:49 AM
CF Beginner

Hey there so I finally had work done on my 02 Impala from a family friend who happens to be a "back yard mechanic" afterdropping so much money into my local dealership I went else where....so far he's installed a new fuel pump as the previous one finally took a crappy and also replaced my cam sensor this baby runaway beautifully now (so far) and I am spoiler happy I decided to keep the impala and not junk it.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Did you open up the door and check the window switch connection?
A test light is all you need to find a bad switch.
About the security system, you can reset it without the radio.
Try one of those places that install security/stereo/tint/???
Also, it kinda sounds like your ignition switch might be bad.
Hope you don't have to buy one of those!
Old March 24th, 2014, 9:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ashley, I don't know if I am reading your post correctly or not,but when your Impala is not starting, is the engine turning over? A friend of mine also with a 2002 Impala had a problem where the engine would not turn over. While the engine would rotate with a wrench on the crank pulley, the starter wasn't even trying. We could hear a slight clicking under the hood and determined that the crank relay in the fuse center on the RH shock tower was bad. Replacing the relay restored operation. As the the running rough condition, does it happen all the time? Cold, hot, when first started or after it's been running for a while and is fully warmed up?
Old April 27th, 2017, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default I'm also having an issue with my 2002 impala

It just stopped starting a while back. It would crank, but wouldn't start, the security light kept coming on, so we replaced the ignition cylinder, then it wouldn't crank at all after we tried to get it to relearn the security code, battery went bad so we changed the battery, still no crank, got the starter checked and cleaned, now it revs but still won't start.