Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2002 - Interior fan "position" on defrost only

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 - Interior fan "position" on defrost only

Hi All,
First post here. I'm trying to get more involved with fixing my car (which I love).

My primary objective now is fixing the AC. But before I tackle that, I've got a smaller problem I'd like to fix first. The fan "position". Please correct my terminology if I get it wrong. I'm talking about one of the two dials that controls the interior vent fans. One is the fan speed (works great), the other is what I'm calling the fan "position". This is whats broken.

No matter what position I set it to, I hear/feel no change in direction of the air flow. It always comes out the top of the dash, and the feet. Never the vents.

I've done some reading and tried a few things at lunch:
- I checked some of the fuses under the hood on the left, but I didn't know which one pertains to this exactly. If at all!
- I tried changing the fan position in various modes; ac on/off, hot/cold, fresh air/recycled.

I read that a few things may be involved here: the vacuum tubes, the actuator door, fuses, the actuator itself.

My question is: what is the best approach for troubleshooting this problem? Where should I start and what do i do after that?

Many thanks and hope to see you soon,
Marco.