Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 Chevy Impala - Heat and A/C only work on 4.5

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2015, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Impala - Heat and A/C only work on 4.5

I have a 2003 Chevy Impala and my heater/air conditioner will only work when the control **** is at 4 and a half. There is a clicking sound when it hits the sweet spot and the heat/air will kick on. It does not work on any other level. If I hit a bump that makes the **** move slightly, it will turn off. I have replaced the blower motor resistor and it didn't change at all. I'm guessing that it could be wiring into the control panel or the control **** itself? Does anyone have any advice about what it could be, how to test for different possibilities, or the best place to take it for diagnostics/repair? Thank you!!
Old August 15th, 2015, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This probably won't help, but I am currently going through the same thing. It started with the same symptoms, fan only comes on at the 5 position. Forgot to mention I have a 2000 Impala with a 3.4 motor. So I changed the fan blower motor resistor, no change. I changed the blower motor, no change. I changed out the AC/Heater temp. control switch assembly, still no change. With all this going on, during this process, the AC quit coming on. It used to come on but only on position 5, now it's just the fan only. After about 3 months of ignoring it I tried the AC switch. It came on, but only in position 5. This made no sense to me now. I changed the three components that are related to the functioning of the fan motor and I'm still in the position from where I started at. So what I tried next was to unplug the connector to the resistor, hook up my voltage meter, black to ground the as I operated the fan switch I found voltage at all 5 positions. So now voltage is getting to the connector that plugs into the resistor. So next I unplugged the fan motor from the resistor, connected my voltage meter to the connector running from the resistor. I ran the fan switch through all 5 positions and I had voltage to the connector at all 5 positions. Position 1 at 9.76 volts, position 2 at 9.80 volts, position 3 at 9.87 volts, position 4 at 9.92 volts and position 5 at 14.03 volts. The voltage increased as the switch was moved up to the next spot, indicating that the resistor is doing it's job. I plugged the connector back into the fan and still fan only comes on at position 5. WTF. So now with everything connected I decided to back probe the connector at the fan just to see if the voltage was indeed getting to the fan. Here is what if found when I started the car and went through the 5 positions. 0 voltage at position 1 through 4 and voltage at position 5. Again WTF. With the fan connector disconnected I get proper voltage at all 5 positions, plug the connector back in and now I have no voltage getting to the fan. Do the laws of electricity and physics not apply to my car. Now I'm completely lost. None of this makes any sense now. I will research a little more to see if I come up with anything. If I do, I will repost.