Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2003 Impala 3.4 Cooling fans on with key?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2014, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Impala 3.4 Cooling fans on with key?

Hey everybody, this is my first post on the forum. Having a bit of an issue with my 03. A while back, I was having some overheating issues due to small coolant leaks and nonfunctional radiator fans. The leaks have been repaired and new fans are in place. The overheating is gone, the system is properly burped, and the fans run constantly when the ignition is on. Of course, this has disabled the otherwise working A/C.

Done so far:
All 3 relays relating to fans replaced, and the sockets cleaned. All 3 old relays worked properly when tested in the 05, so probably not the issue there.

Thermostat is quite recent also, and the temp gauge shows normal operation, just a bit cooler than normal due to the fans.

I have disconnected the battery, the PCM itself, read and cleared codes.

The end result is the fans run whenever the key is on. It's stuck in overheat "panic mode" and I simply cannot figure out how to get it reset. Any help would be super appreciated!!
Old September 6th, 2014, 3:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention above...even though the temp gauge has always worked properly, I replaced the coolant temp sensor anyway. No change there either.