Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 Hard Shift

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 Hard Shift

I am new to this forum, so please be patient if I screw up!

I have owned a 2004 Impala 3.4, automatic since 2005. At about 102,000 odometer miles, the transmission started acting up. I took it to the local Mr Transmission for a complete $2000.00 ovehaul. At about 150,000 odomerter miles, I started experiencing hard shifting, but it was very rare, and if I stoped and turned off car and then restarted it, the hardshifting would go away. Mr Transmission local teck indicated that the car's computer was causing the problems, and I should just live with it, since its hard shifting was rare. It's hard shifting occured perhaps a session once every couple of months. Again, if I turned off car i.e at a grocery store or mall and restarted it, the hard shifting stopped. However, now the cycle of hard shifting has become 2-3 times a week. But, if I turn off car motor and restart, the hardshifting stops. I have replaced fluid and filter 3-4 times and now have 172,000 miles on odometer. This is weird and Mr Transmission teck may be correct, but it is now getting worse. There is an electrical connection on top of transmission. I thought of exercising it, in hopes that computer is not getting signal through a possible oxidized wire. Help!
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it throwing any codes?
Old June 26th, 2014, 4:29 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Frank3
Is it throwing any codes?

None on dash or aka check engine panel. Mr Transmission indicated, before he did the rebuild, that his diag tool when pluged into transmission had indicated at the time that it needed repairs. I can't remember specifics. It was indeed acting squirely about 102,000 miles but nothing like it is acting now. So, I let Mr T rebuild it. Just for surgrins, I can rent diag tool and plug into computer connection under dash. But, before it didn't display any diag codes back at 102,000 miles.
Old June 27th, 2014, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to rebuild the tranny, consider putting in a remanufactured unit. I dropped a Jasper engine and tranny in a 99 Grand Prix and it still drove like brand new when I traded it on the 2014 Impala. I think you will find the price comparable.

Let us know what you end up doing, I like to know how these stories play out.
Old June 30th, 2014, 3:20 PM
CF Active Member

Until it totally drops dead, I am driving it. It does bother me though that nothing APPEARS out of whack. Local Chevy service teck indicates that it might possibably be an internat solenoid. Of course, they'd have to pull transmission $$$$$$$.