Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 Impala stripped hub bolt head

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2018, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Impala stripped hub bolt head

Hi all,
I've got a 2004 Chevy Impala with a bad wheel bearing on the drivers side. I've pulled the bearing from another impala that was an insurance wreck. It works fine, has everything I need. It was a breeze to pull off of the wrecked one.
Fast forward to my impala, I replaced the rotors, the pads, and now am moving to remove the hub assembly. I've gotten the top bolt which I know is the absolute hardest to get out with no problems although it took me and another man with both hands to move the ratchet.
The bolt on the left side of the hub (closest to the front of the car) has seemed to seize completely. I know it is a 13 mm bolt. I've used and broken a 1/2 inch wrench, used a 13 mm socket, regular and deep well, as well as another 13 mm wrench, and even another 13 mm wrench with a ratchet box end. I've used every extension I own, every wrench, everything. The bolt just keeps stripping the head, I've used 6 and 12 sided sockets I've also put a whole entire bottle of liquid wrench and soaked it overnight. Then applied even more after I woke up and left it for another hour.
Is there anything more that I can do? I'm not sure what I can as it seems I've exhausted every resource that I have and know of to remove this bolt and it is extremely frustrating. I have a trip from Cincinnati to Grand Rapids on the 23rd and desperately need this fixed before than. Any help at all is very much appreciated!!
Old May 1st, 2018, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

any friends with an impact gun? don't use 12 point sockets.

would it help if you had the knuckle removed from the car and clamped in a vise on a bench?
Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Can you still get a socket or wrench on the bolt or is too rounded off for that? If you can get a wrench or socket on it, try using a cheater bar to make the wrench longer to gain more leverage on it. That usually works for me.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 10:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try a little heat to soften the locktite up?