Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 Impala Temp Gauge High

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2012, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Impala Temp Gauge High

I have a 2004 Impala (police package) with 127k miles. It just passed inspection and I took it out today. Everything was fine until I parked. When I got back in (sat for 8 mins) and turned it on the temp gauge went right up to just below the highest mark. I then turned off the car and started it agian and the gauge went all the way past that mak and almost straight down to the bottom of the gauge.

I had no engine light on and the heat and AC worked fine. The car sounded the same also. The only other thing different is that the fuel gauge went down to empty and then crawled up to 1/8th of a tank. I started the 5 mile trip with between 1/4 and 1/2 of a tank. (No smell of gas)

There was no steam, no leaks, no nothing, everything seems to be fine with the exception of the gauge.

I am letting the car cool down before I check the antifreeze but I know it was at the right level because the dealer I brought it to for the inspection toped everything off and is very happy to tell you everything that is wrong with your car. Like I said it just passed inspection without any issues and this was less than 10 total miles ago.

Any thoughts to why the engine light did not go on? Does the fact that the fuel gauge also changed have anything to do with it?
Old April 30th, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Could have been an air pocket in the cooling system. Could have been a loose wire. You will have to drive it more to get a feel for what is normal for this car in reference to the fuel gauge. I would never make a judgement on a car on only one drive if everything looks normal.
Old April 30th, 2012, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

I hoping that is the case. The antifreeze was a little low but still in the plastic container. When I turned it back on The gauge was not as high (still above max) but I noticed that if I turn the car off and on (no engine start) mutiple times the gauge went down each time. Once I got it to zero I started the car and the gauge read normal. I will take it out tomorrow again to try again.

I did check the oil and it is clean and clear of any antifreeze.
Old May 1st, 2012, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

if theres air in the system when a repair wasn't made you have issues