Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

2004 Impala transmission shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2014, 9:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bac1961
It started slipping over 1 week ago. Then one day, put it into Drive....nothing would happen. So I shifted carefully manually, now it does not work at all. I even added some Tranny fix a few days ago. I could not even make it up a hill, let alone barely make it back home. No recalls yet have been posted on the GM site.
Recall for what? A 10 year old transmission?
Old July 4th, 2014, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No recall for this problem

The only one so far is for the ignition switch. I will keep you posted if they notify me.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

i have had the 2004 chevy impala for 5 years bought it used at carmax and it had 69,000 miles now it has 113,000 on it and its been giving me tranny problems since i hit 112,650 miles. everything is original. i just want to know how long a tranny can last in those cars
Old July 21st, 2014, 1:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nickperuta
i have had the 2004 chevy impala for 5 years bought it used at carmax and it had 69,000 miles now it has 113,000 on it and its been giving me tranny problems since i hit 112,650 miles. everything is original. i just want to know how long a tranny can last in those cars
I don't think there's a "milemarker" that you can honestly say that there will or will not be a problem with the transmission. It ALL depends on how the car was driven either by you or the previous owner whether it was hard or severe duty or light usage. I can say that with my 2001 Impala, once it hit 120000. I was starting to get some lazy shifts on it. I added to Lucas products to it and it seemed to work fine afterwards. I've heard of valve bodies causing conditions like what I saw, but I cannot confirm it.
Old July 21st, 2014, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

I did the solenoid fix about 6-12 months ago and the tranny has been working pretty good since then - a few hiccups but nothing serious. I'm now at 418,000 km on the original 4T65E tranny but I swap out 1 gallon of tranny fluid every 20,000 km by pumping it out the dipstick tube. So far so good .

Old November 13th, 2014, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default my car same problems

Originally Posted by Navy Man
I'm making this thread for the purpose of giving people helpful information if they are having similar issues with their car. This will be a progress report of how I solved my problems.

The car: My car is a 2004 Impala with a 4.3 engine and 4T65E automatic transmission.

The skinny: The issue I'm having is twofold. Firstly, on occasion, after stopping at a stop sign or stop light, and I proceed to go, the transmission hesitates, and then jerks forward as if it starts out in too high of a gear and then slams into first. It only does it on occasion though.
Secondly, again, on occasion, after speeding up and slowing down a lot, (city driving, windey roads, etc.) the transmission begins to shift hard through all gears. I can stop the problem by pulling over, shutting the car off, and starting it back up.
I know it is not a bad transmission because it works perfectly most of the time, and the shifts are good and solid; no shuddering or slipping. I must therefore conclude that it is a transmission control issue.

Corrective actions: I have changed the oil and filter and the problem still exists. I also added some Lucas transmission fix. This reduced the frequency of the problem, however, it still exists. My next move is to change my solenoids inside the side cover of the transmission. I purchased a valve kit from ebay for $80. The kit includes 5 items: shift solenoids 1&2, torque converter control solenoid (TCC solenoid), pressure control solenoid (PC solenoid), and a transmission fluid pressure valve assembly (TFP valve assy.) These are all AC Delco brand and still in their packaging. They also come with a parts warranty. (I mention this because you have to be careful buying parts off ebay. But you can save alot of money if you know what to look for.) Although the pressure control solenoid is my prime suspect, I am going to change all of them while I have it open, because, according to my research, it is a big job to get in there. I will do this tomorrow (13-JUL-2013) and post my results.
I just got my car bout 2weeks ago and it's doing the same .. I need a mechanic to look at it .. I just need to know what was the exact name of the kit that u ordered off eBay .. I found one for 54$ but I just need to be sure ..
Old November 14th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
You should get it scanned to see if there are any codes. There is a common code that may not turn the check engine lite on, the code is P1811, you have to scan it with a good scanner like snap-on or it may not pick the code up. Gary
Old November 14th, 2014, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default scan ?

Originally Posted by gsferraro
Hello,
You should get it scanned to see if there are any codes. There is a common code that may not turn the check engine lite on, the code is P1811, you have to scan it with a good scanner like snap-on or it may not pick the code up. Gary
Where can I get it scanned from gary ?
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a regular mechanic, you should be able to do it there. Are you in the u.s? Just make sure its a good scanner and not a code reader, it may not pick up the code. If this is shifting hard im thinking you may have a code present. gary
Old November 15th, 2014, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default UPDATE - from my earlier entry

So after doing that PCS solenoid change ( see earlier entry of mine) it's been working good... No more hiccups. And it is at 425,000 km and so far - still good. I got a second magnet from another wreck and put it too in the pan. I think what happens with these tranny's is that dirt / metal filings / crap gets in the transmission fluid and clogs the screen on the PCS. If you keep the fluid clean by changing the fluid AND filter this should help the longetivity of the tranny. I am hoping it will make 500,000 km ...

Quick Reply: 2004 Impala transmission shifting issues