Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

2004 Impala transmission shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2014, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts

Originally Posted by Ranger Rick
So after doing that PCS solenoid change ( see earlier entry of mine) it's been working good... No more hiccups. And it is at 425,000 km and so far - still good. I got a second magnet from another wreck and put it too in the pan. I think what happens with these tranny's is that dirt / metal filings / crap gets in the transmission fluid and clogs the screen on the PCS. If you keep the fluid clean by changing the fluid AND filter this should help the longetivity of the tranny. I am hoping it will make 500,000 km ...
Ranger Rick ,, what parts did you buy for the solenoid ?? Was it a kit or what ?
Old November 16th, 2014, 7:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is a gm dealer near you, it can be purchased from there seperatly. You would have to pull off the side cover to change out the solenoid. You may want to purchase the side cover gasket too. Gary
Just wondering where the car is located?
Old November 17th, 2014, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gsferraro
If there is a gm dealer near you, it can be purchased from there seperatly. You would have to pull off the side cover to change out the solenoid. You may want to purchase the side cover gasket too. Gary
Just wondering where the car is located?
Ok Gary I'll look into that and I. Located in port arthur , tx
Old November 17th, 2014, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Just make sure you match the part, the epc solenoid changed design around 03-04 to a bosch style. I would think if you give the vin number you should be ok. Let me know how it goes. Gary
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Parts for tranny repair

With all the work it takes to get in there and do this job, I would install nothing else other than bona-fide GM parts from a dealer. Sure, there alittle more, but well worth it. I did not get a kit but ordered each part separately - the 4 solenoids, being the PCS, the shift 1-2, the shift 3-4, and the TCC. It cost me about $300 but they were guaranteed to be the same as what was in there... and the dealer got me ones by using the VIN # to be sure.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

I agree with rick, aftermarket parts are trouble. I had a couple of jobs come back on me because of that. OE is the way to go. Gary
Old November 17th, 2014, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

I heard of a guy that did the whole job himself... took 6-10 hrs - then used a cheap oil filter... paper came apart and messed up the PCS AGAIN... no - best to use quality parts - including the oil and filter.
Old November 17th, 2014, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Filtran filter is all i use. Gary
Old July 24th, 2015, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a 2003 venture fwd, after changing the trans filter and trans oil 6,000 miles ago it has a clunk sound occasionally stepping on the gas from a stop light. It happened right after the filter change. Sometimes it feels like the car behind me hit me.

It has the 4.3 engine and the 4T65E Transmission. I have recently
changed the right bottom motor mount and the transmission mount.
It shifts find except for the clunk.

It seems like it's taking off in 2nd gear, then kicking into low after a few feet.

No codes any ideas?
Thank You
Old July 25th, 2015, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Venture guy, it certainly sounds like you have the same pressure control solenoid issue that I had. (btw, 2 years later and it's still working fine) As was mentioned by Ranger Rick, sometimes a cheap filter will come apart and cause problems. In my research, I also learned that the process of changing the filter, if it has not been done for a while, can dislodge built up deposits that will cause problems. But the problem you are having sounds identical to what my car was doing. That clunk sound is produced by the transmission slamming into first gear; and it does feel and sound like the guy behind you has slammed into you. If it is left unchecked, it will ultimately destroy the transmission. To prevent that from happening, you just have to be very light footed when starting out from a stop; at least until you can get it fixed.

By the way, Ranger Rick, thank you for posting your progress and success on this issue as well. Many people are led down the wrong path changing out parts that are still good, only to end up right where they started. It's a big job to change out those solenoids, but in the end, at least the car is fixed.

Quick Reply: 2004 Impala transmission shifting issues