Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Impala Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Impala Cooling Fans

I'm looking for help on a cooling fan problem. The problem is, they don't come on. I've done a lot of internet reading on this and have found that these years of Impalas have quite the problem.
What I've read I have tried. The car has the 3.4 V6 engine. I've tried turning the a/c on. No fans running. Then I read that if you unplug the ect sensor and the fans come on, then the relays are bad. That one worked. So I went down and spent $51 on 3 new relays. The fans worked for a few days then stopped again.
Is there anyone out here who may have a solution to this? I figure the relays have to be going for some reason like the fan motors are bad or something. I know I can't afford to take it to the shop at this time and can't keep buying parts for it. I need to get this fixed as my daughter will be using it for school which will be driving 100 miles a day.
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot more to it than "if you unplug the ect sensor and the fans come on, then the relays are bad" which, unless I'm missing something, is gibberish. First thing, take the connector off the ECT sensor and then make sure there's 5V reference on one wire and ground on the other wire with key on. Often the wire degrades inside the connector and the symptoms improve temporarily after it's disturbed.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I assume you are talking about using a meter on this. They sure didn't leave much room for that. Especially with my fat fingers. lol.
Old September 26th, 2011, 5:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nowadays you can't really do much without a digital multimeter and OBD scanner. At least get someone to hold the negative probe to the battery negative terminal or a known good chassis ground.
Old September 26th, 2011, 5:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
Nowadays you can't really do much without a digital multimeter and OBD scanner. At least get someone to hold the negative probe to the battery negative terminal or a known good chassis ground.
Yup, that is minimum.