Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006-current Impala Mode Actuators

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2010, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006-current Impala Mode Actuators

HI. I hope this thread will help some of you out there. Chevy has had a trend of using cheap crappy mode actuators (aka blend air actuator, temp actuator, temp solenoid, blend solenoid) for years. The current model Impalas are just as likely to have these crappy actuators. Anyhoo, the wifey has a 2008 Impala and 2 of the actuators started making that extremely annoying clicking sound in the cabin. After listening and locating, the 2 that were culprit were the passenger side temperature actuator and the inside/outside air actuator.

These actuators are the same (part#52409974) and are fairly easy to replace on your own. DO NOT GO TO A DEALER TO GET RAPED FOR FIXING THESE. (unfortunately, you WILL have to go to the dealer to BUY the actuators since they still hold the rights. $40 each.)
Here is the procedure on how to change these out.

1. Open the glove compartment.
2. Release the 2 hold tabs at the top back of the glove box.
3. Let the glove box fall down all the way. ( you may need to push the left side to get the clearance you need)
4. slightly up and to the left you will see the passenger side temp control actuator.
5. up and back in the top of the hvac box you will see the inside/outside air actuator. (side view anyway)
6. These are held in place by 2 screws each. You will need a 5.5mm socket to remove these screws.
7 After screws removed, pull those boogers out. ( getting to the screws will be a fun pretzel for you, yuk.)

GM should really consider modifying these actuators to use stronger plasic or possibly even aluminum because these actuators use cheap materials made in China. The plastic gears strip out and this is what causes the noise from hell. Anyway, have fun.

Last edited by shamrockcustoms; January 30th, 2010 at 5:36 PM. Reason: added price of actuators
Old January 28th, 2010, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default !!

I have that popping noise from the dash but i swear that its the dash pad expanding when the dash panel warms up but ill check into the actuator... thanks. Mine is a 2006 3.9litre 3LT . Ill probably live with the noise untill something breaks though, sounds kinda expensive....

Last edited by Kevan; January 28th, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
Old November 17th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Just this afternoon, replaced my second actuator in our 2007 Impala. This one was the passenger side temp, the first was the outside/inside air. The new GM part number is 22754988, $50. I hope Chevy reads this forum. Failures of this nature are completely unacceptable and will enter into my decision next time to purchase. GM should have a box of these replacement parts free in exchange for a broken one.
Old November 20th, 2012, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 current mode actuators

2009 Impala LT (Temp valve and Air Inlet actuators at the same time)

I'm about to spend my day off (Thanksgiving) to replace 2 of these monsters. I'm not going with GM on these. The Gorman replacements 604-108 are cheaper and have been fitted with a heavier housing to cut down on this rediculous problem that should have been made into a massive recall 8 years ago. I'd expect to find something so cheaply made on a foreign vehicle but on a Chevy? No way!

Now if I can just get the "RE-LEARN/RE-SYNC" procedure from someone who knows which end of a Chevy goes forward, I'll be ready to do the damage control.

Or my next vehicle will be a Hyundai!
Old July 14th, 2014, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Question

I am having the same issue with my passenger side temp actuator. It seems simple enough to replace, but does it have to be calibrated? Should I remove the HVAC fuse before installing, then install the actuator, then reinstall the fuse? Does this make it calibrate?? - I have also read that to calibrate an actuator you have to turn the key to on (but not running), remove the fuse, wait a little, reinstall the fuse, then turn the car off then all the way on...feeling a little confused regarding calibration or if it is needed
Old July 14th, 2014, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

yeah im having the same problem with my 08 3.5L flex. on both sides of the car..
Old July 15th, 2014, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sandy if you are talking about the 07 Impala, the book specifies removing the HVAC fuse as an alternate method of recalibration. Problem is that all codes should be cleared for this to work. So if you try this and the re-cal doesn't happen, start and run the engine for a few minutes to clear all codes. Then try the HVAC fuse removal procedure again and see if it calibrates. If it is real quiet, you will hear the doors opening and closing during this time.