Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007 Impala intermittantly will not crank.

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2013, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Impala intermittantly will not crank.

3.5 Engine LT.thanks for any help.Intermittantly will not crank,some times will start after 1 or 2 tries,some times 10.Removing key, turning to accy and waiting 5 to 10 sec.,nothing seems to make a consistant difference.May be 1st. start of day or after shut down for few min.Lights will go dim in crank position,some times service air bag warning will come up after multipal starting attempts and go away.Mechanical part of switch seems a little loose,~ .030/.040" end and radial play.Battery,starter replaced and new GM ignition key have not helped.Any suggestions appreciated.don't mind taking to shop if needed but don't want to get into a endless parts swapping exercise.Thanks much,Great Forum has already answered all other problems i have had!Note also have swapped and replaced starter relay with new.

Last edited by Jeff Hawkins; August 26th, 2013 at 9:10 AM. Reason: add info
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Have you had the alternator tested yet?
Old August 28th, 2013, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

No,have not checked alternator since changed battery,Was seeing key off voltage at battery post around 11.9v but it varied was sometimes normal slightly above13v and sometimes less .Thought battery bad but when installing replacement found thin metal lead plated sleeve installed post to fix looseness on battery cable clamps.Had to clean and install them on new battery.Since then battery voltage has always checked good 13v plus even when car won't crank.Also not seeing any voltage drop at battery when trying to crank.If battery has full charge and good connections not sure how alternator could affect starting.Thank you for input and ideas.

Jeff h.
Old September 9th, 2013, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Seems to be ignition switch,took apart and cleaned contacts as seen in posts for older impalas and is 99% fixed.Will be replacing with new part.JH
Old October 16th, 2013, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced ignition switch,problem seemed fixed for about a week.Now will intermittantly not crank again.Pass lock icon is lit when trying to start but not blinking so it seems from other posts that is not problem.Does anyone know if body control module can cause cranking problems.Also do not hear fuel pump turn on when have cranking issue but when it finally cranks will usually hear it turn on for a few seconds.Thanks,Jeff H.
Old October 16th, 2013, 4:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Jeff,

I am sure you will get great responses from the members. If you continue to have concerns and choose to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this, please private message us.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 27th, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

I am having trouble with starting my 2007 Chevrolet Impala. It quite starting last week and we towed it home. Went out after I returned from a trip and it started right up. The a couple of hours later I went out to use it and all it will do is crank but won't start. The car had been parked and not drove or attempted to start for several days. Then it started right up but again won't start again a little later. Tried again this am same thing, cranks but doesn't start. Any idea where I should start looking for a problem.
Old September 27th, 2015, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cranks but no start. Are there any security messages on the instrument panel? Have you had it scanned for any codes?
Old September 28th, 2015, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Impala wont start

No security messages. Just one tire is low pressure. I did notice the key tends to stick in the start position and I have to switch it back, not sure if that is significant.

Thanks for your first response
Old December 29th, 2021, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Just got my 2003 impala and itt stated just fine about the first 30 times but now wont start... It cranks but just cant start sometimes the security light will blink but sometimes it wonr.. I disconnected the battery n hopes it wld reset the security but it didnt help ended up leaving it at a friends fkd a few days went back n it started right up.. The key iv got for it for some reason is able tl b used to put the car into the start and on position and b removed from the ignition wile still in those positions im thinkin that has something to dl with my issues.. Plz help i cant afford another car

Quick Reply: 2007 Impala intermittantly will not crank.