Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2007 TPMS sensor failure

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2011, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 TPMS sensor failure

I bought a 2007 Impala LT about 6 months ago for my daughter to drive. After having it for about a month, I would very occasionally get the warning that the right rear tire was either low (first time said it had 8 lbs), or it was just showing dashes for that tire on the display. Of course I checked the tire and it was where it should be. It only happened when the car had been sitting for a week or two, so I just chalked it up to something like moisture on the sensor or something. It's recently started doing it more often and it's always the right rear. I was going to replace the sensor. But the tires have been recently rotated and it still shows the right rear when I get the alert. Is there something I can replace or do you think it's a loose wire? Also, does this mean I need to relearn the TPMS since the tires were rotated?
Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The TPMS sensors transmit the information to the RCDLR module (the same that receives from your key fobs). Anytime you replace or move tires around, you'll have to teach the RCDLR which sensor is in which corner of the vehicle. The procedure is in the owner's manual. As for the incorrect reading, these sensors don't last forever.
Old October 4th, 2011, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. The TPMS sensors transmit the information to the RCDLR module (the same that receives from your key fobs). Anytime you replace or move tires around, you'll have to teach the RCDLR which sensor is in which corner of the vehicle. The procedure is in the owner's manual. As for the incorrect reading, these sensors don't last forever.
So, if I was having problems with the right rear losing signal (alert with tire pressure showing --), I rotate the tires and then STILL have the right rear doing the same thing, that means it's something at the hub right? I haven't crawled underneath it yet and was hoping to save myself a bunch of troubleshooting work if somebody has had this before or have seen it. Could it be the RCDLR? A loose wire somewhere?
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't hate the 918. You work for the phone company?
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by idleclamp
So, if I was having problems with the right rear losing signal (alert with tire pressure showing --), I rotate the tires and then STILL have the right rear doing the same thing, that means it's something at the hub right? I haven't crawled underneath it yet and was hoping to save myself a bunch of troubleshooting work if somebody has had this before or have seen it. Could it be the RCDLR? A loose wire somewhere?
No, no, and no. The RCDLR has no idea you've rotated the tires. If it's not getting a signal from some sensor it knows about, it's just going to display the dashes at the last learned corner the sensor's supposed to be. Just take it in and get the sensor replaced and the RCDLR taught.
Old October 5th, 2011, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Don't know why I wasn't thinking about I like that before. Thank you very much.

No, I don't work for a phone company.
Old October 5th, 2011, 2:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I hate dialing 918
Old October 22nd, 2011, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

An update. I was able to take it to the tire store that I had balance the tires. He had a tool and reset all of the sensors. Soooo, if it fails again and is the right front, that means it's the wheel sensor. If it's the left rear again, it's the RCDLR or a connection problem. BTW, it was way easier to get the tire shop to reset the sensors. Hope this helps.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 3:13 PM
CF Veteran

So, all of the sensors responded to the TPMS tool? Well, that's certainly not what I expected. Thanks for the update and do let us know how it turns out.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 5:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
So, all of the sensors responded to the TPMS tool?
Yep, he turned the key and held it next to each sensor for a few seconds, the horn honked, and he went to the next one. I haven't driven it much since and when I drive it next, it will have been sitting for a couple of weeks. That's usually when it would act up, so we'll see.