Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2008 Impala makes "growling" noises through puddles??

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

There shouldn't be much to the airbox itself. The MAF and IAT sensors could have been momentarily sprayed with water, causing a drop in the temperature of the intake "air" as read by the computer. Or a drop in the velocity and pressure of incoming air, which is more likely.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last summer I had occassion to remove and take apart the air box on my Impala. The 2006> Impala air box is designed with an air intake that is trumpet shaped and takes fresh air through the front shroud from just behind the left headlight. This intake extends across the interior of the box (I'll bet shawnvw has a nice graphic). If water splashed up under the front driver side (behind the headlight housing), water or mist could easily enter the box. However, the paper filter stands vertically between the inner end of this intake and wouldn't allow any moisture to get to the MAF sensor. There are a couple of electronic "thinges" at the bottom of the box that were quite warm to the touch. I guessing these ^ provide heat on cold mornings and normalize air temps. I'd check the air filter to see if there was any damage to the element which might restrict the air flow like it would if momentairly wet. My senility waxes and wanes these days.
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

haha. Is senility a word?
Old February 20th, 2009, 4:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
haha. Is senility a word?
I guess it is now.
Old February 20th, 2009, 9:47 PM
CF Veteran

I'm thinking it's more a state of mind....then I forget.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wiktor
Hi All, I have a 2008 Impala LT and really like the car. I have noticed that when driving through larger water puddles the car makes a growling noise and maybe a very slight power loss that only lasts for a few seconds. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Hi, I have the exact same issues with my '07 Impala. Everywhere I bring it to can't duplicate it, or find anything wrong. But we know it's happening and it's very annoying! Only self remedy I tried was new ABS/speed sensor cables which didn't help. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? Thanks!

Last edited by Chris Swanson; September 23rd, 2017 at 6:38 PM. Reason: Forgot some