Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2008 Impala makes "growling" noises through puddles??

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2009, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Impala makes "growling" noises through puddles??

Hi All, I have a 2008 Impala LT and really like the car. I have noticed that when driving through larger water puddles the car makes a growling noise and maybe a very slight power loss that only lasts for a few seconds. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2009, 5:43 PM
Impala Super Moderator

I would avoid this at all cost. Water + engine = Problems. Water could get into the filter. Could also be water on your brakes. Thats my take
Old February 14th, 2009, 9:34 PM
CF Veteran

Wicktor, this is my opinion, but it sounds like you have run-over and are now the proud owner of a dreaded "growling reemergent oil frog" originally from Yugoslavia. These creatures were transported into America attached to the oil pans of the "Yogo" automobile. Since the demise of the Yugo, these genetically engineered clones of Kermit the frog(who live off oil seepage) have sought-out American cars to attach to, where they enter a suspended animated state. Water tends to resurrect them wherein they make a loud growling noise of protest, thus the growling noise you hear when going through a puddle. Fortunately, these frogs can be removed by having your vehicle washed at a local car wash. Hope this is the solution to your problem. As for the momentary power loss, I have no answer.
Old February 14th, 2009, 9:52 PM
Impala Super Moderator

^^^ Huh
Old February 15th, 2009, 3:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Gwampa
Wicktor, this is my opinion, but it sounds like you have run-over and are now the proud owner of a dreaded "growling reemergent oil frog" originally from Yugoslavia. These creatures were transported into America attached to the oil pans of the "Yogo" automobile. Since the demise of the Yugo, these genetically engineered clones of Kermit the frog(who live off oil seepage) have sought-out American cars to attach to, where they enter a suspended animated state. Water tends to resurrect them wherein they make a loud growling noise of protest, thus the growling noise you hear when going through a puddle. Fortunately, these frogs can be removed by having your vehicle washed at a local car wash. Hope this is the solution to your problem. As for the momentary power loss, I have no answer.
OMFG Gwampa!! >rolls on the floor, laughing uncontrollably< I am sorry, but that is waaay too funny. LMAO On a more serious note >still laughing<... I agree with HotSauce, sounds like you got water in your engine or maybe exhaust system for that matter. Maybe the momentary loss of power is the water in the Cat or Exhaust clogging it for a few seconds as it blows it out. That could explain the growling noise too. Could there be a hole in your exhaust system? Big enough puddle... or small lake for that matter, and the water could go almost anywhere in the engine compartment and if there really is a frog in there, take a pic so we can all see it.
Old February 15th, 2009, 8:13 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I know that if you hit water at high speeds sometimes the abs will try and compensate for hydroplaning, I know its a simple concept but maybe thats it. Try driving on snow and turning the car sideways and see if it makes the same noise....
This is the best advice I can give you
Old February 16th, 2009, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I was hoping for help here and not some Jackass answers. For those that tried to help, thanks. Water puddles can't be avoided in western PA, also ABS doesn't appear to be the problem. How could water get into the exhaust or cat when moving forward? Shouldn't have any leaks with 9000 miles on it.It's going to the dealer for repair and if it is an ongoing problem, I guess I'll have to buy another Honda.Gwampa, I hope your next car is a Yugo and you're stuck with it and it's growling frogs!!
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Actually that's why I moved to Albuquerque. I rains an average of 6" per year (it's dry here). Killed-off them damn frogs too. Grrrrrrrr-Blub blub blub! Bye!
Old February 16th, 2009, 5:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy on the senile old man, wiktor... I think he was just humoring everyone, not poking fun or attacking you.

Water in exhaust scenarios:

Manifold or exhaust gasket leak.

Also, newer engines have a little more tolerance to water than older engines. Its a possibility that if you sucked up any water, it could be passed by the engine and into the exhaust where it collects in chambers such as the muffler, filter(if present) resonator, or catalytic converter. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to avoid sucking up water.

It could just be a characteristic of your vehicle. If its not a problem, don't worry about it.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Talked about this at the office today. Could some mist have gotten into the air box and contacted the electronics that line the bottom? Might be the cause of the power loss. Do they still use the layered exhaust pipes. Cold water useto make them separate and the inner crumple up inside...thus the noise? Just guessing. Sorry about the frog but I couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: 2008 Impala makes "growling" noises through puddles??