Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2008 Impala oil change info

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Impala oil change info

hi all, I am new to this forum and to the Impala. I have been changing oil on my Corolla for years now and wanted to know from you if i have to be aware of anything special when doing the Impala.
A few questions i would like to ask are:
1) How much oil does it need? 4 quarts enough? guess i can figure this out...
2) What's the torque value of the oil drain plug.
3) I am going to use jack stands...do you know a good place for placing them without damage?

thank you
Old March 1st, 2010, 2:33 PM
CF Junior Member

It holds 4 quarts of 5/30. I get my oil and filters from WalMart. I use the AC filter and Motorcraft synthetic blend oil. It is cheaper than straight dino oil ($2.77) and it has worked well in my other vehicles for years. I have never torqued a drain plug in my 47 years of doing oil changes. I leave the jack under the car so my jack stands don't have the weight of the car on them. I put the jack stands under the engine cradle.

Ken
Old March 6th, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Ok job is done. Thank you for your help.
Was easy but one thing i have to say about this process is the oil indicator stick...it is the worst indicator i have dealt with. Took me like 5 tries to be sure of the level due to the dark color of the stick itself that blends with the gold color of fresh oil. Anyways, no biggies probably i need to get the hand (or eye) of it.
Oh and i torqued to 20lb/ft as reported in another article in the web.
Old March 6th, 2010, 3:42 PM
CF Active Member

I would leave the jack in the trunk. Instead go and buy a set of ramps ( they sell for aprx 40$ ) and you will see how easy it is. Even better your oil will drain completly. and dont forget to put the parking brake and put something on the back wheels so the car will not move. I have been changing my oil myself for years and you know the job is well done. Warm up the car to normal temperature and get a good oil filter wrench. Good luck
Old March 6th, 2010, 6:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by capucine
I would leave the jack in the trunk. Instead go and buy a set of ramps ( they sell for aprx 40$ ) and you will see how easy it is. Even better your oil will drain completly. and dont forget to put the parking brake and put something on the back wheels so the car will not move. I have been changing my oil myself for years and you know the job is well done. Warm up the car to normal temperature and get a good oil filter wrench. Good luck
The bumper was to low to clear the ramps I had. I use a floor jack and jack stands with no problems.
Old March 7th, 2010, 7:57 AM
CF Active Member

Thumbs up

When I was changing my oil on my 2003 impala my bumper was to low also and I had to use a set of extensions that fit over the ramps so the angle is not too sharp. Not all the ramps companies offers these extensions but I am sure companies like Pep Boys keep them in stock. For my part I have old steel ramps and I added some pieces of 2 by 6 wood screwed to my steel ramps.On my new uplander I dont need these extensions because the bumper clearance is higher than the impala. Now on the market these ramps are made of recycled rubber or similar by products.

Last edited by capucine; March 7th, 2010 at 7:59 AM. Reason: orthograft mistake
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

That light wind dam will flex enough to get it on ramps. Hell, you do more damage on bumper blocks or curbs. Again, if an old fart like me.........well you get the idea. BTW, mine is an 06 Impala.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
CF Active Member

Gwampa: Like I am saying regarding the set of ramps, the purpose to buy extensions that fits at the beginning of the ramps is to cut the angle by quite a lots of degrees for your front wheels in order to save your front dam from scraping on the ramps. I will go to the store and find out the manufacturer that sell these extensions. I live in Canada and the manufacturers are sometimes different than the U S A . I will keep you informed.
Old June 10th, 2010, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to threadjack, but on the issue of oil change... here's a dumb question. My friend was asking me to do an oil change on her 03 impala. I am used to just changing my car which shows the jack location for the front. So, where can i place the jack on the front of an 03 impala then? I see 2 rectangular holes underneath the front frame, do I place them there? It doesn't seem balanced if it is. Thanks
Old September 27th, 2019, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Volume for oildipstick hash marks on 3.5ltre v6? Half quart??

Volume in qts for oil dip stick hash Mark's on 3.5ltre?