Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2010 headrest replacements?

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2014, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked Neck

I agree with Frank3 on the 2014 Silverado. I love everything about this truck but the headrests. What's more ridiculous is that the only adjustment is 3 clicks forward on an already aggressively forward leaning head rest. I think it is dangerous to drive with my chin in my chest.
I tried flipping the headrests 180 degrees, but then it is too far back to be comfortable. I am considering just bending the headrest posts back about 15 degrees. Has anyone tried that yet?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default GM Headrests

Hi Biggaroni;
There are many thousands of GM owners who all have the same complaint.
GM is a toad company for not addressing this problem. I have sent them emails and phoned them directly. Of course when you phone them you connect with a real live human drone who has been taught just how to respond to this extremely common complaint. Well I got past the drone by telling her that I didn't want to speak to a mere minion like herself but would be happy only to speak with someone higher up the ladder, preferably a CEO. At the end of it all I was told that because I live in Canada and reached the USA division, they couldn't help me. They were kind enough to provide the phone number for the Canadian division.
I have come to realize that these mega motorworks companies like GM don't want to hear complaints from their customers. They'll treat you like you're the only soul on all of earth to have this problem. They'll stand by that idiocy even after you tell them that the internet is chock-a-block full of the same complaint.
I did read somewhere that headrests from a 2009 ( or earlier ) model Sierra still have straight posts and will fit the newer model seats. But then you have to have them upholstered to match your interior. Do-able but a bit expensive as they'll need to be taken to a custom auto upholsterer.
I have thought about straightening the bend of the posts. The problem I see is that some chrome plating might peel off. However that shouldn't matter if you leave the headrest on the lowest position.
If you decide to take your complaint to GM, don't even bother with the dealerships. They'll just plead ignorance and tell you they never heard of this problem before. They are liars.
I suggest that you phone GM directly. Feel free to use this post as a measure of weight. Be prepared to be lied to and given a major run around.
Only if enough people demand to speak to the highest echelons in their corporation will changes be made. Make the first minion you speak to escalate your request. Be prepared to put your complaint in writing and demand an answer.
What you get back from them will probably serve best as mushroom fertilizer. Nothing ventured , nothing gained.
Good luck!
Old June 2nd, 2016, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 Impala and also suffer discomfort on long trips, which I take often. But, I am actually short rather than tall. I had complained to my husband how the seat keeps my head pushed forward and how tiring it gets after 45 minutes or so. This really stinks as I take 3 .5 to 4 hour long drives on a very regular basis. It makes the drive feel longer and I am exhausted when I get to where I am going. I have a hard time believing these headrests were designed by the best engineers unless they are designed for maybe one specific height, and 5'4" is NOT it.

Regarding the Chevy truck headrests, is there a particular year that might work best?
Old September 9th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Tlm
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GoodcarBadcar
I too have a problem with these headrests. I have turned them 180 deg. Now they no longer are effective as a protective device when or if involved in an accident.
I contacted GM about this a few years ago and received an extremely arrogant response from a female in their camp.
She informed me that GM hires only the best Engineers and that I should adjust my seat to make the headrest comfortable.
As another owner on this forum pointed out, positioning the seat so that the headrest doesn't interfere with neck comfort , the altered position of the seat does become uncomfortable for ssome drivers. Especially tall people with good posture. ( That means those who sit erect and not hunched over)
As I stated earlier GM is very arrogant about this small but important issue so don't even bother to contact them about it.
I'll be copying this diatribe and sending it to them just so someone in their organization might pay heed.
Now for a possible fix
I read on another forum that the headrest from a Chevy pickup truck has straight posts and will fit the Impala seats. That responder even said that he was able to get an exact colour and pattern match.

Why won't GM suggest this?
What year of Chevy truck? And where can I order these headrest? I to have a good posture and cannot sit comfortably in these seats.