Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2010 headrest replacements?

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2011, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 headrest replacements?

I'm not thrilled with the front seat headrests in this car, they're angled forward just enough to NOT allow a comfortable head position. I'm not so sure I'd enjoy a road trip for this reason, there's no way to lean back at all.

Has anyone replaced them with others? I didn't have much luck searching the web for any replacement ideas.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Old September 9th, 2011, 3:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Diceman,

Have you talked to the dealership? They may have more options available to replace the headrests.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 9th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Diceman,

Have you talked to the dealership? They may have more options available to replace the headrests.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Please answer the question.Is there a service bulletin for this problem??.IF your associated with Chevy Customer Service.............surely you can at least answer that question.
Old September 9th, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of folks turning the headrests 180 degrees. Also, the front and rear headrests may be interchangeable within reason.
Old September 9th, 2011, 8:59 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EinST
I've heard of folks turning the headrests 180 degrees. Also, the front and rear headrests may be interchangeable within reason.
Very cool answer.Makes sense now.Outstanding help!!!.
Old September 19th, 2011, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Thanks for the reply, good idea, haven't tried it and will do so and report back.

Also, for Breanne - I did talk to the Chevy dealer - Saturday in fact. She went so far as to say she's had numerous people ask about other options to which she's consulted with the regional rep (pretty sure that's the term she used, maybe not but was similar) - who has no options other than stock.

I have leaned the seat a bit further back now, which has helped a little, but not a real fix. I can see this being pretty uncomfortable on a road trip, after more than an hour or two.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Impala Headrests

I too have a problem with these headrests. I have turned them 180 deg. Now they no longer are effective as a protective device when or if involved in an accident.
I contacted GM about this a few years ago and received an extremely arrogant response from a female in their camp.
She informed me that GM hires only the best Engineers and that I should adjust my seat to make the headrest comfortable.
As another owner on this forum pointed out, positioning the seat so that the headrest doesn't interfere with neck comfort , the altered position of the seat does become uncomfortable for ssome drivers. Especially tall people with good posture. ( That means those who sit erect and not hunched over)
As I stated earlier GM is very arrogant about this small but important issue so don't even bother to contact them about it.
I'll be copying this diatribe and sending it to them just so someone in their organization might pay heed.
Now for a possible fix
I read on another forum that the headrest from a Chevy pickup truck has straight posts and will fit the Impala seats. That responder even said that he was able to get an exact colour and pattern match.

Why won't GM suggest this?
Old August 25th, 2014, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you can turn them 180 degrees but can't turn them back??

Why can't you position them? Are you saying the release is broken?

Or is this really operator [user] error ???
Old August 28th, 2014, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hi Sledge;

My first inclination was to return your insult to my intelligence by responding to your post with an equally stupid reply. However I'm bigger than that.
This is not a case of user ( operator) abuse or lack of ability.
Turning the headrests 180 degrees is the same as turning them back. Go back and read my original post . Do it very carefully and very slowly so that you can fully understand what I wrote.
Of course I can adjust them as much as the engineers have allowed. IE: three positions upward but nothing back to front.
I'm currently driving a very cheap rental car ( 2014 Kia) and the headrests are perfect even for me.

No the release is not broken. The design is terrible. Probably designed by some university educated engineer who probably does not know what it is to be tall.

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
So you can turn them 180 degrees but can't turn them back??

Why can't you position them? Are you saying the release is broken?

Or is this really operator [user] error ???
Old August 28th, 2014, 9:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar situation with my 2014 LTZ. I can't count the number of times I've gotten in and subconsciously adjusted the headrest to try and prevent it from poking me in the neck. While the headrest is aesthetically pleasing, it is not designed to accommodate the need to comfortably fit the wide range of builds that the occupants can be. I tried in vain to see if the headrest would pivot backwards toward the rear of the car to get rid of some of the protrusion on my neck, but it basically just goes up and down. These headrests are as comfortable for me as a pair of bad-fitting shoes.

Quick Reply: 2010 headrest replacements?