Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 Impala bow tie color change

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Impala bow tie color change

What is the best way to change the color of your Bowtie front, back and steering wheel
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plasti dip

or that vinyl wrap stuff or whatever it is.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slimboi
What is the best way to change the color of your Bowtie front, back and steering wheel
Head to a forum that is more concerned about such things, such as here:

Black Front bowtie - Chevy Impala Forums

Do a search on bowtie black there and it will also give you more threads to read that will keep you busy for a couple hours.
Old March 9th, 2015, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Just a quick tid bit: I carefully pried and removed the gold insert from the front emblem. (2015 Impala) -don't expect it to be easy. -they used plenty of black rubbery cement kind of stuff to stick it on. Careful application of heat with a heat gun seemed to help. (Honestly, I expected it to break, so had already ordered a new stock replacement, just in case, so now have a new stock one in a box on the shelf.)

Anyway, I just basically spray painted mine satin black. Who knows how that will hold up, but WOW it sure does look nice for now !! (I should figure out how to attach a picture to my profile, I guess) I studied the various paints for quite a while, and finally settled on an "all surface" spray by Rustoleum. I did spend a lot of time gently scrubbing the original gold finish with mineral spirits before heating it up slightly and then painting it with a couple light coats, with the prescribed wait time in between.

I sure wonder what kind of finish the original gold is? I scraped around on the one of the edges to see if I could tell, but couldn't. Whatever it is, man it is really bonded on tight !! -it almost seems to be some type of plating.

Yes I did find an after market black aluminum insert for the rear emblem, but nothing yet for the front. (-actually I just painted the rear one too) I kind of prefer that fine textured (raised pattern) of the stock emblem, so by painting it you still have that original pattern.

By the way, if you are thinking of removing the whole front emblem from the grille to make it easier to work on,,,,, OH BOY. -let me tell you how that works: There are four very secure lock tabs that attach the unit to the grille, and the only access to release those locks are through four holes that have to be accessed THROUGH THE FRONT of the emblem !! -so you have to pry the gold insert out first anyway,,,, Sheesh, what a design,,,
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Impala bow tie color change-satin-black.jpg  
Old March 9th, 2015, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 57chevythunder
Just a quick tid bit: I carefully pried and removed the gold insert from the front emblem. (2015 Impala) -don't expect it to be easy. -they used plenty of black rubbery cement kind of stuff to stick it on. Careful application of heat with a heat gun seemed to help. (Honestly, I expected it to break, so had already ordered a new stock replacement, just in case, so now have a new stock one in a box on the shelf.)

Anyway, I just basically spray painted mine satin black. Who knows how that will hold up, but WOW it sure does look nice for now !! (I should figure out how to attach a picture to my profile, I guess) I studied the various paints for quite a while, and finally settled on an "all surface" spray by Rustoleum. I did spend a lot of time gently scrubbing the original gold finish with mineral spirits before heating it up slightly and then painting it with a couple light coats, with the prescribed wait time in between.

I sure wonder what kind of finish the original gold is? I scraped around on the one of the edges to see if I could tell, but couldn't. Whatever it is, man it is really bonded on tight !! -it almost seems to be some type of plating.

Yes I did find an after market black aluminum insert for the rear emblem, but nothing yet for the front. (-actually I just painted the rear one too) I kind of prefer that fine textured (raised pattern) of the stock emblem, so by painting it you still have that original pattern.

By the way, if you are thinking of removing the whole front emblem from the grille to make it easier to work on,,,,, OH BOY. -let me tell you how that works: There are four very secure lock tabs that attach the unit to the grille, and the only access to release those locks are through four holes that have to be accessed THROUGH THE FRONT of the emblem !! -so you have to pry the gold insert out first anyway,,,, Sheesh, what a design,,,
Thanks a lot that's what I think I will do yours looks great and a lot more stock than the vinyl stuff
Old April 28th, 2015, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

-just curious Slimboi, did you do the color change on yours?