Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2015 Impala side assist is in-op

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2018, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Impala side assist is in-op

2015 Chev. Impala side assist detection is not working. It started with the passenger mirror not working and now both don't work. This car only has 40k miles. Has there been a recall on these?
Old April 24th, 2018, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

A lot of people complaining about this issue. Go to www.impalaforums.com 9th generation.
Most feel it's a safety hazard. It's do the corrosion of the sensor box located under each side
under rear bumper. Unless under warranty, it's a costly repair due to poor design placement of the
sensor box. I've recommended people to write to NTHSA and file a complaint.
Old April 25th, 2018, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

I appreciate the impute. I will do exactly that. It is a safety issue. Once you have this, you rely on it. Thanks for writing back
Old May 4th, 2018, 9:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my 2014 Impala 2LTZ back from the shop for that. They ended up replacing the modules on both sides and the wiring harness because of water intrusion. Mine had blown fuse # 62 in the underhood fuse panel, which caused additional messages on the drivers information panel.
Old May 4th, 2018, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Frank3
I just got my 2014 Impala 2LTZ back from the shop for that. They ended up replacing the modules on both sides and the wiring harness because of water intrusion. Mine had blown fuse # 62 in the underhood fuse panel, which caused additional messages on the drivers information panel.
That's the cause everybody who has for this problem, because of a poorly designed placement of the those sensors.
People need to complain to NHTSA, as a safety problem due to bad choice of placement of the sensors.
Chevy's just passes the problem as in most cases an out of pocket problem for the consumer.

Last edited by impalaltzer; May 4th, 2018 at 2:07 PM.
Old May 4th, 2018, 3:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most feel it's a safety hazard.
People need to complain to NHTSA, as a safety problem
It is doubtful that it will ever be classified as a safety problem as it does not make the car un-drivable or dangerous to drive. They are safety aids, not a substitute for not paying attention or not using common driving skills. If it fails, you just have to drive it like a car that is not equipped with it, like most people have learned to drive for last 70 years, use your mirrors and check your blind spots with your eyes.

That being said, it was obviously a bad choice by GM to locate the modules in such a location and or not design the modules and connectors for that kind of environment. It could be the supplier of the modules not building them to spec as well. I am considering getting under my car and sealing the module and connector on each side with a Silicone RTV Sealant to try and prevent it from failing.
Old May 7th, 2018, 8:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by impalaltzer
That's the cause everybody who has for this problem, because of a poorly designed placement of the those sensors.
People need to complain to NHTSA, as a safety problem due to bad choice of placement of the sensors.
Chevy's just passes the problem as in most cases an out of pocket problem for the consumer.
Exactly, I did some searched on the internet, and from what I found, on a Tahoe, those modules appear to be placed inside the doors. A much better sheltered area.