Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2016 Impala stop/start mode

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2019, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Impala stop/start mode

I've searched and searched and can't find how to disable the supposed gas-saving start/stop mode on the year/model of my car. I've tried placing the transmission in manual and clicking the + sign until it stops at the number of gears the transmission has but after doing so when the car comes to a stop instead of idling, it jumps around like it doesn't know what to do. I'd rather not use the placing the AC controls on if there is a better fix. I don't see an off/on button to push like some trucks have. Does anyone know how to disable this, it's very annoying and from what I've read, not good for the engine.
Old May 4th, 2019, 4:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

The auto start/stop doesn't have an "off" button on Chevrolet vehicles. My Malibu has it. I simply come to a slower stop and at the last second let up on the brake pedal.
This works about 90 percent of the time. Shifting into manual mode or neutral will keep the auto stop from engaging too. I am sure there is a way to defeat this, but I have gotten used to it, so its not worth my time to disable it.
Old May 4th, 2019, 6:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the manufacturer doesn't make a permanent disable as they would have to change the fuel rating standards.

fca vehicles have a one trip shut off. for permanent disable some people have tried disconnecting the battery sensor. this will display a dash message but no check engine lights for fca vehicles.
Old May 4th, 2019, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

I'm going to find out if there is a simple fix if it kills me. There has to be an easy way to do it.
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:52 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by johnny_m
I'm going to find out if there is a simple fix if it kills me. There has to be an easy way to do it.
I haven't tried it yet, but once the motorcycle battery in the trunk dies I wont be paying $200 to replace it, Have heard that the auto/stop quits working, but have not yet disconnected it yet to find out. Some people *claim* a light comes on the dash, so nothing a piece of black electrical tape on the dash that wont solve that issue, pronto

I was too busy getting rid of that low-hanging air damn that hits everything, getting all torn up, and having to put a spare donut-tire, jack and lug-nut wrench in the trunk, to worry about it. I dont really hold this against Chevrolet. They are simply trying to obey the law and meet the fuel mileage standards, that were set by the federal government.

Then again, I haven't quite figured out why Chevrolet is dropping the Volt from the 2020 line-up. That is one cool looking car, that would help meet the standards.
Old May 5th, 2019, 1:14 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
the manufacturer doesn't make a permanent disable as they would have to change the fuel rating standards.

fca vehicles have a one trip shut off. for permanent disable some people have tried disconnecting the battery sensor. this will display a dash message but no check engine lights for fca vehicles.
Well, if Fiat-Chrysler can do a one trip disable button, then logically there has to be a way to do the same with a Chevrolet, but I am guessing it would/might involve reprogrammingthe ECU, which of course, is not a cheap solution. Despite all the weight I have added to my Malibu (spare tire, jack, heavy rubber floor mats,ect.), as well as removing what was left of the low hanging air-dam. My Malibu keeps on amazing me in how well the power and fuel mileage have stayed the same as when I bought it.

Old May 5th, 2019, 8:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the off button for fca is a momentary contact switch...I wonder if changing the switch out to a permanent contact switch would keep the system off.

Disconnecting the battery sensor should work. The system has numerous inputs it looks at to shut down the system....battery state of health being one of them.
Old May 5th, 2019, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies, I thought maybe the hood open sensor/relay would do the trick but will try the battery thing.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the off button for fca is a momentary contact switch...I wonder if changing the switch out to a permanent contact switch would keep the system off.

Disconnecting the battery sensor should work. The system has numerous inputs it looks at to shut down the system....battery state of health being one of them.
Just curious, will just disconnecting the battery in the trunk do the trick or does it need to be hooked up to perform other duties than run auxiliaries during engine shut down.
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I haven't tried it yet, but once the motorcycle battery in the trunk dies I wont be paying $200 to replace it, Have heard that the auto/stop quits working, but have not yet disconnected it yet to find out. Some people *claim* a light comes on the dash, so nothing a piece of black electrical tape on the dash that wont solve that issue, pronto

I was too busy getting rid of that low-hanging air damn that hits everything, getting all torn up, and having to put a spare donut-tire, jack and lug-nut wrench in the trunk, to worry about it. I dont really hold this against Chevrolet. They are simply trying to obey the law and meet the fuel mileage standards, that were set by the federal government.

Then again, I haven't quite figured out why Chevrolet is dropping the Volt from the 2020 line-up. That is one cool looking car, that would help meet the standards.
I know the car will start and run with no aux. The aux battery is what allows the stop/start