Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

65 impala not starting ( wiring ) problem

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2013, 9:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is the battery grounded at the engine, and is it a good ground? The wire (purple) should go the the S on the solenoid. The large wire is from the battery. I am questioning the ground on the battery to the system. This based on your last post. The ground is as very bit important as the positive.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 5:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will run that check next . Illget my volt tester and my other tester ( the one with the bulb and ground ) and run them through different random areas of the block and se if she is grounded out. But im thinkin she is grounded out . Remember i tested the starter by jumping from the positive trrminal to the s terminal . If she wasnt grounded out then that wouldnt have been pozsible.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

ran a bulb test from positive on battery to different locations on the block.all the test ran good showing a ground. got a good ground on the alternator . the intake has a good one , hei distributor . the fuel pump on the side of the block. the starter itself . the firewall . the fenders and also a good ground on the frame that the motor is sitting on .
Old January 22nd, 2013, 5:26 PM
CF Monarch

This this a mechanical fuel pump, you stated ground was good. Now I know you have an hei distributor, will it crank with the key switch, and not start?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

ran another quick test. tested voltage going into neutral saftey switch under shifter. 12 volts going in. ran a test showing it going out. ( should show voltage leaving) showed nothing. so i figured it out. grabbed the shifter threw it in neutral and fired her up. ordered a new one gonna pick it up tommorow.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 8:16 PM
CF Monarch

I take it this is an automatic, is it a power glide (2 speed)? This may be the switch, I'd also look at the switch linkage. Hold the shifter towards park, and try to start. This could be over the time mechanical wear. Glad you got it started.