Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

AC comes on intermittantly

Old August 13th, 2014, 9:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC comes on intermittantly

very weird. was 70 or 72 on the screen and not that hot out so i just had the vent on 66. every once in a while i got a burst of very ice cold air. obviously the AC kicked on..then after a bit turned off. i had used the AC once or twice earlier but this event was far after that time.

i never use 'auto' so that cant, or shouldnt be , the reason

so anyone elses AC just come on without warning like this? didnt happen today on the way to work.
Old August 13th, 2014, 9:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's always on LO.

But I think that would be expected? The compressor only spits out cold air. Your inside temp was hit, so it turns off. Keep your recycle air on and block the outside air so as to not let in humid air.
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AC shouldnt be on unless i turn it on and see the light. thing is the lite was off and the air was ice cold. if AUTO is off it shoudlnt turn it on at all. and even if it did, woudlnt the AC lite be on?

also in 16000 miles this never happened before. if its cool enough out i dont put AC on and 72 was good.
Old August 13th, 2014, 1:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by luckydriver
AC shouldnt be on unless i turn it on and see the light. thing is the lite was off and the air was ice cold. if AUTO is off it shoudlnt turn it on at all. and even if it did, woudlnt the AC lite be on?

also in 16000 miles this never happened before. if its cool enough out i dont put AC on and 72 was good.

Ok - Sorry, I missed that part.

I'll leave my AC button OFF, and turn the car inside temp down to 50 or something, and see if the AC comes on. It's 80F outside so I should be able to tell.
Old August 13th, 2014, 2:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi luckydriver,

I understand that you are experiencing some concerns with you’re A/C. I will be happy to contact your dealership on your behalf and discuss this further with them. If our assistance is needed, feel free to send us a private message in reference to your concern. We will be happy to help!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 13th, 2014, 7:41 PM
CF Veteran

I put it on 59F tonight, I did not get any ice cold air or even cooler air that I could tell.
I adjusted the fan speed and it still said "AC OFF" or whatever on the console.