Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

adding additives

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2007, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding additives

How do you guys feel about every once in a while adding a "fuel injector cleaner" treatment or "octane" boost into your full tank of gas? I heard, this was NOT advisable for newer cars. Whats your opinion??? (i have a 2001 Impala)
Old April 16th, 2007, 3:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: adding additives

Ive also heard that excessive use of injector cleaner will damage or eat away at seals or something like that.
Im not sure if it was a particular type of cleaner or brand.
But- GM recommends TIER 1 gasoline. In fact GM's cleaner sold at Chevy parts counter (last I heard) is simply Chevron Techron re bottled.
AND Chevron Gasoline has less concentrated techron in it, AND Chevron gas is TIER 1 rated.

So- it seems that its OK to use Techron to clean injectors.... but if youre gasing up- lower concentration is the key.
If you dont use the TIER 1 gas - then occasional use of techron is ok.. The bottle says every 3000 miles.
I personnally pour a bottle every 6,000 miles. And Techron is all I use.