Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuel Additives

Old May 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Fuel Additives

Anyone regularly use fuel additives/fuel injector cleaner? I know ZX says GM endorses Techron but I got a good buy on the 3M brand and was going to try running it thru every 10k miles.
I know there will be those that say use premium gasbut I did that with my 97 Tahoe (Exxon 93 octane)and still had to replace the fuel injectors at about 100k miles and there was plenty of build up in the intake, was getting hard to start too.

I know some of you use it for stabilizing fuel up north but I'm not needing it for that purpose...
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Additives

BG44 is the best out there.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to be careful with SOME additives. With the way that SOME of them are refined, they may contain trace amounts of, believe it or not, water. Continued use of them will cause enough water in the tank to kill that ever-so-expensive electronic fuel pump. Saw that happen in an 04 that a co-worker has. He liked to use octane booster in every other fill up. When he brought his truck to me, (I guess he thought I was the resident Hoe pro) I went through the preliminaries and narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump. Dropped the tank, pulled the pump and found rust all over the metal. Assuming Amoco 93 doesn't have water in it, I asked him if he used additives and he told me about the octane booster and how much he used it. He hasn't used it since and also hasn't had any fuel system problems since. My 2 cents. Hope it makes some sense. []
Old May 16th, 2008, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, first off, you 97 tahoe had crappy injectors, the 07 ones are nothing like it.. shell 93 octane gass v-power is developed with gm and shell. has all kinds of goodies in it for you car, to you now and then.