Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Adjust gas pedal pressure? - 2010 Impala

Old April 17th, 2012, 9:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Adjust gas pedal pressure? - 2010 Impala

I'm assuming this is a drive-by-wire set-up so there's no real throttle spring connected to the gas pedal linkage. If so, is there any way to lighten up the tension on the pedal? It feels quite stiff, especially after several hours on the road. The pressure on our GMC Sierra is much lighter and much more comfortable to drive. I'd like to lighten up on the Impala to match the GMC. Can it be done? How?
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean the throttle body and see if that helps. If not as far as I am aware there is nothing else. I seem too think that all of the drive by wire cars feel about the same. If cleaning it does not help there maybe some thing else wrong.
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have the same problem. I have checked to see if there was possibly some kind of service bulletin on this and haven't found anything, the car in my case is a 2010 but I also own a 2000 which doesn't have the drive by wire setup and there is a bunch of difference. BTW I am a retired certified GM tech and I don't remember the drive by wire vehicles being that way but there is a difference in test driving and driving 2000 miles as I just did.
Old June 19th, 2012, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 07 Impala LTZ and noticed the stiff gas peddle the day i picked it up from the dealer. The fix is rather easy and I did it within a week of owning the car. Remove the gas peddle, just a connector and couple bolts and it comes out in your hand. There are two coil springs on the peddle assembly. Disable one of the springs by bending the coil spring stop away so the spring can uncoil relieving the spring tension. This works and will make depressing the gas peddle more normal feeling. Why it is set up this way with such a heavy feel is one of the mysteries no one seems to know.
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:12 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have researched this issue in Impala vehicles, however there are currently no known issues regarding a stiff accelerator pedal.

The accelerator pedal position torque may need to be altered. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis.

I would advise consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

I did the spring thing and it works great, I suppose the extra spring would be extra protection should one of them break but the pedal prssure on a long trip is terrible. The pressure seems to be just right now.
Old November 28th, 2013, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

So, is this "hard gas pedal feel" in the 2009 & newer Impalas an across the board issue?
We Are looking to update my wife's 2000 model with a 2010 or newer, but she has an issue with the gas pedal feel being too stiff. This will be a deal breaker, and a waste of time shopping impalas if all of them are like that.
Old April 18th, 2014, 1:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting "rest of the story" on this issue - after having the gas pedal assembly replaced (see my post about "Warning . . .), the new pedal assembly is less stiff than the original. It feels more "normal."