Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Blind-Spot Detection Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2019, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyguy518

I have the exact same issue on my 2014 Impala LT v6. When the first sensor shorted out it started with a burning wire smell and then physical smoke coming out of my driverside taillight. Next my entire instrument cluster went dead. Car still ran but in low power mode. After Chevy told me it was not covered under my warranty and i had to pay 100% of costs i was forced to wait on repair. I mind you at the time i only owned the car less than 60 days. After disconnecting this sensor and replacing a fuse my car came back to life but still gets an error message on the DIC. Now my right sensor has nearly caught on fire and Chevy told me the same thing. They can not help and its not their fault. They made a module that is not waterproof and placed it on the inside of a bumper behind tires with no protection to keep water from splashing on it. They made a module and harness that does not have a properly functioning fuseable link. Otherwise the fuse would have blown before my car nearly caught on fire. Even after the fuse blew it still continued to smoke. I have lots of evidence that Chevy has put all of our lives in danger and won't own up to it. Chevy has recently changed the part number on these modules and made them more waterproof. This proves Chevy knows they have a compromise in their electrical system and this is exactly why i have a small claims against them. Ive attatched a photo of just how close me and my family came to being burnt. Contact me with any questions at plattsburghhandymen@gmail.com
My wife's car now has this problem 2014 LT passenger side. I tried to look under the bumper area to see the condition and there is a shield in the way for muffler ( the car is a V6) Has anyone replaced these units themselves? there was a post I saw that said the modules were right there a 5 minute job. I would replace both and the wire harness then have the dealer reprogram. I purchased the car new and it now has 52K on it. If I had to spend 1500k to fix I would consider trading the car in on another brand. I am very capable of doing what ever needs done I have 8 cars of different makes. thanks for help.
Old March 12th, 2019, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 1933beer
My wife's car now has this problem 2014 LT passenger side. I tried to look under the bumper area to see the condition and there is a shield in the way for muffler ( the car is a V6) Has anyone replaced these units themselves? there was a post I saw that said the modules were right there a 5 minute job. I would replace both and the wire harness then have the dealer reprogram. I purchased the car new and it now has 52K on it. If I had to spend 1500k to fix I would consider trading the car in on another brand. I am very capable of doing what ever needs done I have 8 cars of different makes. thanks for help.
Hello, yes it is an easy fix but the problem is people are having this same issue 6 months to a year down the road. The second issue is the cost of these modules. Chevy should be responsible for replacing these for free considering this is not normal wear and tear. These modules are a manufacturing defect and a fire hazard. All the new vehicles have them and chevy, GM and Ford are having a lot of negative feedback on these modules. So becareful because your next newer vehicle is surely to be using the same side sensing modules. Ive left mine disconnected to avoid further issues.

Hope this helps
Old March 12th, 2019, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

So I can unplug the module. Will I have a continual check engine notification? And I assume u disconnected both sides.
Old March 31st, 2019, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

That is what I did until I get the new controllers in
Old April 19th, 2019, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with the "service blind side detection system" reminder on the dashboard of my 2013 Cruze. Can I turn off the system using the onboard menus and have that reminder go away until I can get it fixed? Thanks.
It appears there is no word on a recall action.
Old April 21st, 2019, 4:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitejt3
I have the same problem with the "service blind side detection system" reminder on the dashboard of my 2013 Cruze. Can I turn off the system using the onboard menus and have that reminder go away until I can get it fixed? Thanks.
It appears there is no word on a recall action.
A dealer (or garage) can turn the warning off using a code reader,
but the warning will just come back on after a while. (maybe a day or 2)
Old April 21st, 2019, 5:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if applying RTV to the seams on the module would help it in being more waterproof. This would however probably void the warranty for those still in warranty.

Found this article pertaining to the Cruze and blind side detection.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/09/...utomaker-says/
Old May 7th, 2019, 5:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

I think there could be some relief on the way. Today I received a letter in the mail to make me aware that some 2014 MY Chevrolet Impala E vehicles may have a condition where the side blind zone message is displayed on the driver instrument cluster (DIC) due to water intrusion. It goes further on to say, If this message is ignored, in certain circumstances this condition may also result in the loss of driver interface functions such as cluster, infotainment /displays. chime and passenger presence detection.
It states Do NOT take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above.
GM is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If the condition occurs on your 2014 Chevrolet impala E within 6 years of the date your vehicle was placed in service or 80,000 miles (130,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
It goes on to say if you believe your vehicle has the condition described above, repair and adjustments qualified under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet dealer. You may want to contact your Chevrolet Dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle to that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. It stated to keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Liebeknecht (February 18th, 2021)
Old May 10th, 2019, 5:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frank3
I think there could be some relief on the way. Today I received a letter in the mail to make me aware that some 2014 MY Chevrolet Impala E vehicles may have a condition where the side blind zone message is displayed on the driver instrument cluster (DIC) due to water intrusion. It goes further on to say, If this message is ignored, in certain circumstances this condition may also result in the loss of driver interface functions such as cluster, infotainment /displays. chime and passenger presence detection.
It states Do NOT take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above.
GM is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If the condition occurs on your 2014 Chevrolet impala E within 6 years of the date your vehicle was placed in service or 80,000 miles (130,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
It goes on to say if you believe your vehicle has the condition described above, repair and adjustments qualified under this special coverage must be performed by a Chevrolet dealer. You may want to contact your Chevrolet Dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle to that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. It stated to keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.
Yeah same;
also mud & snow covering the radar areas
will affect things...
Old May 10th, 2019, 5:09 AM
CF Senior Member

lol since my dads car is a 2014 like yours,
the 6 years is almost up anyways!!

Quick Reply: Blind-Spot Detection Problem