Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Engine light on (this is deep)

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light on (this is deep)

I will try to be short. I have a 2002 Impala, 3.4. I recently took it to Tires Plus. They changed the battery and alternator. They left the wire harness hanging. The belt cut into 3 wires. I got an engine light on and the A/C stopped working. After many arguments they took it back and tried to fix. The code for light was MAF. they changed and light still on. Then they said the wires shorted something. So they would have to change harness. Then they changed there mind and said it needed a new ECM. They changed ECM and still have engine light on. So far they have replaced MAF and the ECM. There is alot more to this story. They have had my car almost a week now trying to figure what happenned. Does anyone here have any idea what might have happenned when it shorted to cause engine light on. They have checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. They at first said when the belt cut the wires it shorted something out and they need to figure what it shorted. But they have not figured out what. Please, help me, help them, so they can help me, get my car back. My email is dacrew4009@***.net if anyone can help. Thanks
Old September 30th, 2009, 9:38 AM
CF Junior Member

I could be way off base with this one, so someone more knowledgable should chime in, but sometimes when repairs are done in response to an engine light, the code does not clear for quite some time. The issue may have been fixed, but the computers in these cars dont automatically reset. I think you may just need to get the code cleared out by a dealership/tuner/knowledgable mechanic... especially if it were just some cut wires that got replaced... have you driven the car since? Is it driving fine?
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Tires Plus, Corporate got in touch with me today and sent it to the dealer. Dealer found a fuse blown but not where you can visually see it. the blown fuse tips were barely touching so the car operated right but it was enough to keep the engine light on. Problem solved. Thanks for your help 07