Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Factory Radio Problem

Old January 3rd, 2011, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Radio Problem

I recently got this impala in September with 160k on it. My question is the radio/power windows/and some other electric components dont work as they are spouse to i think when the key is in the accessory position. I know from my other cars if i just turn the key to the acc position the radio/power windows and other components work. With this impala i have to turn the key to the run position then back to accessory to get everything to work. But the drivers door or any door must be closed if it is open it will not work. When the engine is running then everything is fine and i can open all the doors without any worry of the radio going off. What could be causing this? Thanks for the help!!

ps i already replaced the ignition switch module thinking that was the problem
Old January 3rd, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you replaced the ignition switch or the switch module? And you didnt replace the lock cylinder?
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced the ignition switch module. I didnt replace the lock cylinder because that is working fine, i just pulled it out and put it in the new module. Thanks
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:47 AM
CF Veteran

I m sorry, I misunderstood what you thought the problem is. There is no problem. It is supposed to do that. I have a Cadillac Sedan Deville. It does the same thing. There are relays on the floor of the passenger side A pillar which control that feature. They are called REP#1 and REP#2 relay. They keep the radio and windows active for 10 minutes then automatically power off, or until you open the door then they power off. The windows dont work in the ACC position, only the radio and wipers. I dont know why they did that but thats what they did.
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply! Yea that's odd, so in order to get the radio on without starting the engine you have to turn the key to run the back to acc?
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:37 PM
CF Veteran

No. But to keep it on, you have to go from run to acc. until you open the door. If yours doesnt stay on and you replaced the ignition switch check those relays. But overall the radio SOLELY should work when you turn the key back to ACC if the door is open or not.
Old January 4th, 2011, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks i will check the relays. Right now like i said before i have to turn the key to run the back to acc then the radio will turn on, but if the door is open it will not work. as soon as i open the door the radio will go off while the key is still in the acc position.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

i think you re missing one of the relays that are supposed to be in that panel. check your fuses also. you get nothing in ACC?

do you have an aftermarket alarm on this car?
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

I didnt get a chance to check it out today, hopefully tomorrow before the snow storm lol. I do have acc but in order to get anything to work i have to turn it to run then back to acc. Actually the radio lights and the instrument cluster light up if i just turn it to acc, but in order to get the radio to turn on the doors have to be closed and i have to turn it to run then back to acc. It did have a remote start installed but i removed it thinking that might have been causing the problem. Thanks for the help
Old December 12th, 2011, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the almost year later response. Life got in the way and this wasn't a priority anymore lol.. Anyways I am starting to use this car as my primary now and would like to get this resolved. The main problem now thats really bugging me is that even if I have the key in the acc the radio still times out after 10 mins. Is it supposed to due that? I did check the relays and they are there I even swapped a different relay in. Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Radio Problem