Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2017, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could u send me the diagram please? 2000 monte carlo

Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps

Could you please send me the diagram?
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
I know this thread is a little old. But can I possibly get the diagram so that I can try this myself.
Thank u
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Please email me the diagram
Thanks,
drza51@gmail.com
Old March 23rd, 2018, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

If you want I can explain to you how to bypass the passkey system the problem is that taking the key in and out of the cylinder so many times has worn away the metal and the resistor embedded in the metal portion of the key is no longer making connection it is still making a good enough connection to start let me know if you would like to bypass it
hello can you please send me the instructions to bypass passlock for 2002 trailblazer switzermike757@gmail.com

Last edited by mike switzer; March 23rd, 2018 at 9:50 PM. Reason: forgot email
Old March 24th, 2018, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
please send me the directions to remove the ignition. Alicia0Alicia05131971@gmail.com
Old March 24th, 2018, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
Originally Posted by Alicia Andrews
please send me the directions to remove the ignition. Alicia0Alicia05131971@gmail.com
Sorry, email is wrong.. alicia05131971@gmail.com
Old August 17th, 2018, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help

UPDATE: Did the below fix almost a year. Started acting up again about a month ago. Security light always coming, have to wait 10 minutes for passlock reset (almost every day). Had the below fix done again about a thousand miles ago. Works absolutely perfect again. No securit light, starts every time. My mechanic showed me the contacts, and they were badly burned again. He took a dremel with a brush and cleaned them like brand new. I think the problem is GM using inferior metals. Also had to fix my service traction control by cleaning the contacts by the wheels, more than once. Hope this helps someone else, sure has helped me.

hey i was wondering if you could send me the instructions on how to take the bypass off my 2004 imapala
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Diagram needed

can you please send me a diagram on however to bypass
Old September 27th, 2018, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Does your advice apply to Passkey3+ ('04 Malibu Maxx)?
Old October 24th, 2018, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Audrey in Kanata
Does your advice apply to Passkey3+ ('04 Malibu Maxx)?
how do I find out that information about the car if it is a passkey3+?

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!