Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Hardwiring radar detector to RVM plug

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwiring radar detector to RVM plug

Hello:

Newbie question here. I'm hardwiring a radar detector to the rear view mirror plug with a product similar to an Iniviscord. I need to tap into the 12 volt switched power supply but I'm not sure which one is correct. I don't have a voltmeter. But the pin-out is as follows; Brown - Ignition 3 voltage, Black - ground, Lt. Green - Back up lamp supply voltage, Grey - Interior lamp control, Dark Blue/White - Courtesy lamp supply voltage. I know my ground wire pin goes to black, but which of these is the ignition voltage? Is it brown? What the hell does 'Ignition 3 voltage' mean?

Thanks,

JVersh
Old July 9th, 2011, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default More Info.

I guess more info on my car would be useful. 2004 Impala LS and the rear view mirror just has the dual map lights. Sorry for being vague.
Old July 13th, 2011, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Answer to question

I'm going to go ahead and answer my own question here in hopes that it helps out someone else in the future. The ground pin (black) on my wiring kit obviously went to the termination for the black wire (ground) in the rear view mirror plug and the positivie pin (red) went to the termination for the BROWN wire (Ignition 3 voltage) in the RVM plug. The kit came with 3 wire tires and after I had everything tied up nice and neat and the plug reinserted in the back of the RVM, the radar detector comes on with the ignition switch in the ON position and goes off when I shut the car off. Looks very professional and neat. It was the Rear View Mirror Hidden direct wiring kit from Safe-N-Sound1 for Whistler Products for $9.51 and it turned an ugly draping wire going into one of my power ports into a Radar Detector that has that 'Built-IN' look and I couldn't be happier.