Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Headlights going out. Help.

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights going out. Help.

I have an 03 Impala where the head lights occasionally go out. I had the high beam/low beam switch replaced ( the one on the steering column). And that worked for a few months but it is starting to do it again. The lights sometimes flicker a little, or just go out completely for a second or two. They don't get dim or anything like that, just flicker/go out while driving. Any thoughts?
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One side or both sides? Aftermarket headlamps or stock? Did you replace the dimmer switch yourself or someone else? There's no easy solution to intermittent electrical problems and thus I'm trying to see if it's something you want to tackle yourself.
Old March 16th, 2011, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Both sides, and the headlamps are stock. I had the dimmer switch repalced by a local garage. I haven't even had a chance to look at it myself too closely yet. I'd like to get a wiring diagram if I can find one. Thanks for the reply. I realize there could be any number of factors causing this. I'm an electrician by trade, so I should be able to make some sense of the system. Just trying to see if i could get some ideas on where to look first. Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.
Old March 16th, 2011, 7:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, start a new thread with a request for a wiring diagram? Or, check into your local library or an online subscription to eautorepair.net or alldatadiy.com?
Old March 20th, 2011, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

The wife tried to use the car last night and the lights wouldn't come on at all. The dimmer switch was new, so it can't be worn out. Should I be looking for a short, or put a meter on it to check the voltage. Is there a relay or a wiring harness that may keep going bad?
Old April 7th, 2011, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you ever noticed the daytime running lights going out? (i know thats hard to tell) but its possible it could be in the sensor for the automatic headlights. i would start by checking the owners manual to see if there is a relay for the headight systems. then check the wiring harneses and bulbs for corosion or signs of damage from the wire to the terminal, and you said your an electriction so i assume you have a decent multi-meter. then test for continuity at hot and then ground side of the circut. if these seem to be ok check the switch. also see to make sure that your getting 12.6 volts at the headlights (thats perfect, it probably will be within 1 volt of that). from there i would check the sensor for the automatic headlights. if your 03 is like my 05 its on the dash, a little black plastic thing right on the defroster vent. start by puting the headlight switch in the auto position. then cover the sensor with a piece of cardboard within about 10-20 seconds it should turn the headlights on. also if you want to test the signal voltage coming from the switch 0 volts is what it what give off "dark" and with a flashlight pointed at it it will give off around 5 volts,
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

2004 buick ranier while driving night head light go out [auto light on .off] need help . t.y.
Old September 11th, 2013, 5:35 AM
CF Beginner

This has happened to me, it's the multi-function stalk going bad. You'll have to replace it, which isn't cheap.