Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Help, I messed up...

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2022, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I messed up...

So I was putting on new valve stem seals on my 2000 Impala 3.4.
Long story short, I dropped a valve stem seal clip down into/past the camshaft. I cant get my pen magnet to roll down and around to feel around for it. How bad is it? Im not about to pull the heads off to dig around and try and find this tiny clip. Its been a pain just getting this far in to do the seals, and we're approaching beyond my backyard skill set soon. I'll sell the car and let someone else deal with it first. How much damage will it do if I leave it? Will it fall down to the oil pan eventually maybe? Is there an easy way to find it or get it out? Yes I know I should have had it covered, and I did, it was the ONE time for the 10 seconds it took for me forget to cover it back up that the clip jumped out my hand and swan dived in slow motion. I tried to catch it. I almost did. Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, so my question is, what can I do now??
Old May 10th, 2022, 1:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeCheck
So I was putting on new valve stem seals on my 2000 Impala 3.4.
Long story short, I dropped a valve stem seal clip down into/past the camshaft. I cant get my pen magnet to roll down and around to feel around for it. How bad is it? Im not about to pull the heads off to dig around and try and find this tiny clip. Its been a pain just getting this far in to do the seals, and we're approaching beyond my backyard skill set soon. I'll sell the car and let someone else deal with it first. How much damage will it do if I leave it? Will it fall down to the oil pan eventually maybe? Is there an easy way to find it or get it out? Yes I know I should have had it covered, and I did, it was the ONE time for the 10 seconds it took for me forget to cover it back up that the clip jumped out my hand and swan dived in slow motion. I tried to catch it. I almost did. Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, so my question is, what can I do now??
Just run it like it is.