Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

HELP: Key won't turn anymore, how do I remove the switch & tumbler?

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2011, 7:03 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Key won't turn anymore, how do I remove the switch & tumbler?

Well long story short, the key was in the ACC position when it got pulled on and somehow popped out of the ignition, this I'm pretty sure should not happen and when I put it back in it felt "weird" but I was able to turn it to the OFF position but now I can't turn it anymore and the steering wheel is no longer locked either.

I search the web, searched on this forum, found a couple posts that sounded exactly like my troubles but I was wondering if anyone had a link on how to remove the key tumbler/switch assembly? I've never had a problem with my passlock2 or security system so I'm guessing it's just my tumblers that are hooped but can they be removed/replaced if I can't turn the key? I thought I read somewhere you need to turn the key to the ON position to hit the release button or something to that affect?

Anyone have any ideas or tips I could try? Or am I likely right that my tumbler is probably hooped and I should get a replacement? Can/should I replace the entire switch/tumbler with another one? How can I re-program for the new key if I do need to get a complete new tumbler set?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks