Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

How do you remove sensors on 2001 chevy impala

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2012, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove sensors on 2001 chevy impala

Hi there I have a 2001 Chevy Impala and i cant stand the bells that go off when you get in the car. The low tire pressure sensor goes off and wont go away even though the tires have 32psi. Is there a fuse i can pull or a sensor I can pull out. Thanks message back
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:04 PM
CF Veteran

Are your tires supposed to be at 32psi? There should be a sticker in the door jam that tells what to set them at, if they're set correctly then you may need to relearn the system or check for parts going bad.
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What bell are you talking about? Key in the ignition door open? Headlights on door open?
Seat belt off? Constantly the whole time you drive? Or does it beep because the tire light is on? (which I have never seen it beep constantly for).

As far as the tire light, your car does not use sensors in the tires so there is nothing for you to "re-learn". It is a very early form of tire pressure monitoring. Your car uses the ABS sensors/system to calculate the pressure. Are all your tires the exact same size? 1 of them bald or1 extremely new. EXTREME difference in tread MAY be enough to turn light on. Is the ABS light on? If none of the above symptoms are present the you need someone with a scanner that can read the ABS computer to look for any ABS codes and to look at the data stream.

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system alerts the driver when a large change in the pressure of one tire exists while the vehicle is being driven. The TPM system uses the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) , ABS wheel speed sensor inputs, class 2 serial data circuit, and the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC ) message center to perform the system functions. The EBCM contains the software to calculate relative tire pressure differences. The software requires approximately 30 minutes of straight line driving in each of the three different speed ranges to complete the calibration process in order to have full capability of detecting a tire pressure condition. The speed ranges are as follows:

24-64 km/h (15-40 mph)
64-113 km/h (40-70 mph)
113-145 km/h (70-90 mph)
Each speed range has 2 modes of tire pressure detection:

Monitor Mode 1
Monitor Mode 2
The EBCM learns the tire pressure calibration for each speed range independently. In Monitor Mode 1, the EBCM has only partially learned the tire pressure calibration for the speed range and has limited detection capability for a tire pressure conditions. In Monitor Mode 2, the EBCM has fully learned the tire pressure calibration for the speed range and has full detection capability for a tire pressure condition. Once the TPM system is calibrated the EBCM monitors the ABS wheel speed sensor inputs, which will all be the same as the learned calibration if the tire pressures stay the same. If the pressure increases or decreases in a tire, so too will that tires circumference and radius, which causes that wheel speed sensor input to change. The EBCM recognizes this change in wheel speed as a tire pressure condition. If the pressure in one tire becomes at least 69 kPa (10 psi) higher or lower than the other three the EBCM commands the IPC message center to display the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message via a class 2 serial data circuit. This warning message is a re-configurable telltale and is ranked as lowest priority and may not be displayed if a higher priority message is requested at the same time. This message does not appear if more than one tire has high or low pressure, or if the system is not calibrated properly. The TPM system does not alert the driver to which tire is high or low. To turn off the LOW TIRE PRESSURE warning message, refer to Tire Pressure Monitor Procedure.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; March 16th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Veteran

sensors or not the TIM can be reset, you'll probably still need a scanner to clear the code. Thats just assuming nothings wrong with the system though
Old October 24th, 2012, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Is there a part number for the TPMS? I have looked at Rock Auto and several parts stores and cannot find a part number to order. Rock Auto lists every sensor on my car except for the Tire Pressure Sensor.

I have been told that the sensor itself is bad by the local Chevy dealership, but I cannot find the part to order. Is this something only the dealership will have and can install?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

what vehicle
Old October 25th, 2012, 4:12 AM
CF Beginner

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your post, nice to see that.
especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work.

Mac Cosmetics Outlet Cheap Moncler Jackets Tiffany & Co Outlet

Beats Dr Dre Giacche Belstaff
Old October 25th, 2012, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
what vehicle
2001 Impala 3.8