Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Ignition switch problem?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 1:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch problem?

I have a 2000 3.4 V6 lmpala. The key started acting up by not wanting to move out of the off position. After tinkering with for a few minutes it will move so you can crank the car. Has been doing this for about 3 weeks now. About 2 days ago I stopped to get gas. After pumping gas and getting back in the car the key would turn to the start position but would not crank it. Tested everything from starter to battery, everything. I done some research and was informed that its my key switch. Got that replaced, self install, done the reset process to program the switch to the security system. From the information I was given it should be fixed. When trying to start car it sounded like dead battery. Charged battery still nothing. All it will do is click. Any ideas on a possible correct fix of some way to rig it so o can get back and forth to work. U.S. Marine 2 kids and a wife. Need fixed asap. Was self made mechanic/body repair man before the Corps. Message me on here or my email is usmcpeacock@gmail.com Thanks for any information.
Old May 17th, 2012, 2:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Sounds like you fixed the original key problem and may be dealing with a separate issue.

to clarify:

you turn the key to start and get a single click from the starter solenoid.

-One possibility is worn starter brushes. Have someone hold the key in the start position while you tap the starter motor with a hammer. If it now cranks; it needs starter brushes.

-if all the dash lights and interior lights go off after the single click; you may have a loose connection on the insulated power circuit from the battery to the starter. Check for loose connections at the battery and starter.

Last edited by tech2; May 17th, 2012 at 2:32 AM.