Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala 1980 - intermittent wipers

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2009, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala 1980 - intermittent wipers

Hi guys: In may earlier post, I was musing whether to junk or keep my 1980 Impala. At the end, I love it sooo much, I'm going to fix few things and keep it for a while. Just cannot part with it. And guess what the junk yard guy told me, after offering me $50 for it: "I think you might want to keep this one".

First thing I need to do is intermittent wipers. Sometimes they work fine, but sometimes they do not start at all. Is that a motor or what?

Second thing is: The exhaust manifold is rusted out and smoke is getting in the cabin. Is this an expensive job to do. Yes I know I can visit a mechanic for a quote, but I will trust your opinion first, before I sink any money into this one.

Many thanks.

Last edited by tallguy; February 8th, 2009 at 1:14 PM.
Old February 13th, 2009, 7:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The intermittent wipers sounds like a circuit board problem. see if there is a circuit board attached to the wiper motor.

The exhaust manifold is going to be an aggravating job, although not a hard one. You should have 6-10 bolts holding the manifold (depends largely on the engine).
On a car that old, its a very good possibility that you will break one of the manifold bolts off in the engine block, so you may not want to do this yourself.
Old February 13th, 2009, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi EvansBlue: Thank you very much for helping: And yes, I did visit my local mechanic, and this one being a really honest guy, he told me that the whole thing (I mean the manifold and the whole rusty car) may not be worth trowing money at. So, as sad as I am to do it, the Impala is going to the junk yard.

Many thanks, and best regards.