Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 Impala -- Go for it OR run away??

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2009, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Impala -- Go for it OR run away??

Seriously need advice. Does anyone here have this year or the 05?
I am trying hard to make a good choice in a car that is decent quality, is low maintenance, and has a sturdy build to it. Narrowed down to two choices:
Either the Impala OR a Ford Crown Vic. Yep, these are apples and oranges. In this case both have about 50000 on the car and look very well cared for.

Any thoughts?
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:40 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Impala FTW... 3800 or 3400 They are both great cars
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Veteran

Is the Impala and LS, SS? Can sure make a difference. Those Crown's are bullet proof (if cops can't kill em...well you know). The Imp will probably get better mileage but the Vic will ride slightly better. So flip a coin.
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:54 PM
Impala Super Moderator

With a few little mods, the imp can hold its own..go for it
Old February 12th, 2009, 5:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Talking

Im-pal-a...Im-pal-a...Im-pal-a! hahaha Ok, seriously though... up until April of last year I would have never considered buying an Impala. Looked liked a sporty "Mom" car. Then I saw this Superior Blue 2003 Impala LS on the car lot one day they I had been to a couple times already looking at a Ford Focus, a VW Jetta, etc.. So, checked it out and looks were deceiving. This, being the LS with the 3.8L (200Hp) engine, was not "Mom's Car" at all. I really liked how it road in town (35mph) and on the highway (75mph), handled around corners, stopping, starting, the quiet engine, all the bells and whistles too, etc. Once again, not "Mom's Car". So, I did my homework and checked ratings and reviews online with Consumer Reports and Edmunds. The ratings on it were very good. I got a Carfax report which I might add was detailed. So, I took it for another test drive and then came back and signed the papers. I have not been sorry since. When I got it in April '08 it had around 77K miles on it. It now has about 86K miles on it and still running strong. I think you will be happy with the Impala. I also think it will get better gas mileage than the Crown Vic.. So, choose wisely grass-hoppa.
Old February 14th, 2009, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

I have an 04 & love it. nice ride, great mileage, comfy inside. I'd say go for it.
Old February 14th, 2009, 8:34 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

My dad had an 04 LS with the 3800 until last year. He bought it new and sold it with 140,000 miles. Yeah he rode it hard. Never had a single problem. The only thing I don't like is a lot of them had that black plastic trim peice down the side that is just plain ugly. His was the cappuchino color with no black plastic. Looked good. and the color made it so you never knew when it was dirty except when you touched it
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I had the Lincoln Town Car version of the Crown Vic (just fancier) before I got my Impala. The Impala gets about 5 or 6 MPGs more than the Ford but the ride and comfort of the big RWD is much better. The full size RWD Fords are very durable and I think tougher than the Impala. I bought the Impala bacause of the better fuel mileage but I often wonder if it is worth it.
Old February 14th, 2009, 1:01 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Agreed