Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala pros & cons

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala pros & cons

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a sedan and I've been thinking about an Impala. I know the next gen is just around the corner but I don't have the money for a brand new one.

In fact I'm really considering a used one since they are really cheap.

My first question is that why is their resale value really low? I saw a 2012 LTZ with leather, 22,000 miles for $18,000. This was a $30,000 car just a year ago.

Second question is that I'm leaning more towards a 2012 since they have the newer V6. How are their reliability? I know the old push rods are rock solid.

Third, what are the things one need to watch out for with these? Meaning, what is prone to go wrong. From what I've read, many of them have rear alignment issues where the tires wear out severely from the inside.

That's really what I've learned about them. I want the out going model since they usually have fixed bugs in them from the new ones. Also the fact that they're dirt cheap, relatively cheap on gas and reliable from what I know.
Old September 9th, 2012, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a 9th generation impala ('06-'12) about a month ago. Haven't really heard much in the way of major problems with anything'10 or newer. Basically just 06's n a few 07's. Price wise, please remember as soon as u drive a new vehicle off the lot it drops in value dramatically, and only continues to drop from their. Do not let that fact alone dissuade you. There are plenty of impalas still on the road (at least in my area) that are 10-15 years old and while they may look their age, the majority of them seem to run just fine. Of course this is just people I speak with and we all share the same love for cars so yu know the took care of their imps.... Bottom line, regardless of resale value, if the car was taken care of, you're good. I personally was back and forth between this impala (mine's an'07) and an '09 v6 charger. Long story short, the imp is a bit better on gas and this specific one had a little bit lower miles, so we went with it & I couldn't be happier. The only thing I can say I would (& did) change is the stereo and speakers. It's a great car but the non-Bose system leaves a LOT to be desired in my opinion. But performance wise for a family sedan, it leaves me wanting nothing. And I definitely agree with your logic as far as purchasing a later model in the generation to avoid all the kinks. Heard of several small things with '06's, only a couple with '07's and honestly, nothing note able yet with '08's or newer. In fact, I drove a '12 imp rental for a couple weeks. It was an LTZ with all the bells and whistles. Needless to say, if I could have afforded it, I'd be driving one of those rather than an '07. But still, VERY pleased with this vehicle and I think you would be too....
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jay-santos
Hi guys,

Third, what are the things one need to watch out for with these? Meaning, what is prone to go wrong. From what I've read, many of them have rear alignment issues where the tires wear out severely from the inside.
Haven't seen any rear alignment issues personally. The good thing is the rear toe setting is easily adjustable on these cars. As on all cars, when the springs sag the alignment angles change. Toe is the largest tire wear factor so toe wear is usally seen and heard (tire noise) first.

The only powertrain issue I've seen is the coolant cross-over pipe gaskets leaking. Other than that, its a good vehicle.