Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala Transmission's

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2014, 5:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Tranny Issue

I bought a 2012 impala LT with just over 27k miles on it. I was told it was a corporate executives car that was turned in. With his knowledge I believed that it was well maintained. I took it in before the 36k warranty and was up complaining about the shifting issues we we're experiencing and was advised it was normal according to service bulletins.

The issues have continued to get worse. Like a couple of others, I'm experiencing slipping occasionally when stepping on it getting on the highway. In addition, there is a bump or knock sound at slow acceleration. Sometimes at heavy acceleration we hear a thud or thump as we'll.

After having a number of transmission issues with my 2000 Acura tl, (3 replacements) I'm hoping the same thing is not happening here. My wife loves this car, I just hope it's not another problem car.

I have a 2005 Tahoe and it's tranny is still running great
Old April 2nd, 2014, 5:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any codes?
Old April 5th, 2014, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Same Tranny Problems

I am having the same problems with my tranny in my 2011 Impala LT. It is hesitating on take off and just yesterday it shuttered in a parking lot. I tried to take it to the dealership today and it wont be seen until Thursday. They again said there were no known problems but from reading this it seems like I got lied to. I have 50099 miles on the car and have a cross country move very soon with no extra money. I am disappointed in Chevy right now and possibly trading it because of this. The manual says change the tranny fluid filter at 100000 miles so I have not done that I am not hard on my vehicle. All I want is a reliable vehicle. I once thought that was chevy but am starting to think different. I do own a 2001 GMC Yukon XL with no problems like this and it has taken a beating by comparison. I have 1200000 on that vehicle and trust it more than my Impala. That is pretty sad I trust a vehicle that is 10 years older and over twice the mileage on it. If anyone can tell me approximate cost and/or possible problems please let me know.
Old April 7th, 2014, 1:52 PM
Banned

i bought my 06 impala in 2006 with less than 13k on the clock for $23k for A BASE IMPALA! and have owned it ever since. i have all records for all completed maintenances and at just 79k miles the transmission has taken a **** on me. i had complained previously when the car was under warranty and the problem was ignored. i contacted gm customer service and took the car to the dealer where i bought it and was told the only help they were willing to give me was to pay for the $139 diagnostic fee and only 1 hour of labor on tearing down the transmission! THE TEARDOWN ALONE IS $860 AND THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE COST OF REPLACING PARTS OR LABOR TO DO SO. So i could be looking at about a 3-4k$ bill to fix the transmission. i am completely disheartened with the lack of customer service and help from gm especially considering a quick google search nets you THOUSANDS of complaints and problems with the new generation impala's transmissions. i will NEVER and i repeat NEVER buy another gm product so long as i live and plan on letting it be known that gm ****S on the customer.

Last edited by 06lsbadtrans; April 18th, 2014 at 9:15 AM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 2:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be cheaper/easier to get one from the junk yard and put it on. I did that on my 94 f body.
Old April 7th, 2014, 2:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
It would be cheaper/easier to get one from the junk yard and put it on. I did that on my 94 f body.
yes, but then who knows if it's gonna be any good. i only took it to the dealer b/c the customer service rep stated that having it diagnosed by the dealer would be the only way "they could begin to help me" they said. that help came in the form of them paying for one hour of labor costs....what a ****ing joke!
Old April 8th, 2014, 5:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by 06lsbadtrans
yes, but then who knows if it's gonna be any good. i only took it to the dealer b/c the customer service rep stated that having it diagnosed by the dealer would be the only way "they could begin to help me" they said. that help came in the form of them paying for one hour of labor costs....what a ****ing joke!

your well off warranty; who did you think was going to pay to fix your transmission? Why should any shop or tech have to work for free to diagnose your car? Do you work for free at your job? Your expectations are not realistic imo.
Old April 17th, 2014, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Angry My Impala’s Tranny is Garbage

I have 48,000 miles on my 2011 impala, one day after about 2 hours of highway driving on a residential road it just started performing poorly.
The transmission was not getting through second gear and at one point was struggling just to get into first. I stopped driving it that instance. Now its at the dealership and they say it might not be covered by the 75,000 mile power train warranty. Are you kidding me Chevrolet??? I have owned chevy’s all my life and to have a tranny crap out after 48k miles is absurd. I think I might become a trader and switch to Ford. Can anyone explain to me why a tranny would have trouble so quickly? And why would Chevy be so irresponsible in terms of keeping a lifelong customer for a few dollars in maintenance fees?

Regretfully,

Aggravated Chevy Customer
Old April 18th, 2014, 7:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by dabethancourt@live.com
I have 48,000 miles on my 2011 impala, one day after about 2 hours of highway driving on a residential road it just started performing poorly.
The transmission was not getting through second gear and at one point was struggling just to get into first. I stopped driving it that instance. Now its at the dealership and they say it might not be covered by the 75,000 mile power train warranty. Are you kidding me Chevrolet??? I have owned chevy’s all my life and to have a tranny crap out after 48k miles is absurd. I think I might become a trader and switch to Ford. Can anyone explain to me why a tranny would have trouble so quickly? And why would Chevy be so irresponsible in terms of keeping a lifelong customer for a few dollars in maintenance fees?

Regretfully,

All depends what on what part is broken for warranty coverage. Most hard parts are covered. Leaking fluid lines are not. did they say the fault was?
Maintenance costs are all customer pay. Failed components are for the most part warrantied.

Last edited by tech2; April 18th, 2014 at 7:51 AM.
Old April 18th, 2014, 9:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tech2
your well off warranty; who did you think was going to pay to fix your transmission? Why should any shop or tech have to work for free to diagnose your car? Do you work for free at your job? Your expectations are not realistic imo.
you obviously don't read....i have complained about this problem b4 when the car WAS under warranty and the problem was ignored. i guess i was hoping chevy would step up to the plate as there is clearly a flaw in the 4T65E trans used in alot of there cars.

Originally Posted by dabethancourt@live.com

Regretfully,

sorry to hear but yea that sounds about right. typical chevy *****y customer service. i won't be buying another gm brand. im going to look at buying a new HYUNDAI this weekend. sad cuz i REALLY like the new impala, but with sh*t customer service and sh*t build quality i'll pass. good luck getting your car fixed

Quick Reply: Impala Transmission's