Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 3:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

are you using a good quality gauge? or the ones thats been run over and banged up from the gas station?
Old October 28th, 2007, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: impalagal

Headlights flicker most noticeably when braking. Have noticed it with steady driving and I always have A/C or defrost on. Dealer always says it's normal. I've never lost lights alltogether. Don't notice dash lights flickering, though. Luckily, I don't do much night driving!!
HI.

I have an O2 Imp LS also and have noticed my head/dash lights will flicker when:

More coasting/no acceleration ~ 30+ mph, RPMs @ 1000~1200. it will do it constatantly too until i change either speed/rpms.

i usually have the radio on too, but i noticed it w/o the radio on. with the winter months here and driving i the dark more, its annoying and im just waiting to get pulled over for it.

i looked at the TSB and it appears that whatever is causing it is alot of other GM products since the problem appears in other makes/models.

any comments/solutions?

sorry to highjack....

Old November 30th, 2007, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

I know everybody has said it, so I'll cut right to the chase. Fell in love with my '07 LTZ, thought I was nuts to think that this brand new car could be acting like this, and felt like a goon taking it back for little things like tire pressure system ****. But, alas I do have the flickering headlights, an e-brake that's worthless, and tires that don't know what side of the cars they're on. I'm glad I found this thread and expect to hear from me in the future. On the lighter side of things I've found nothing wrong with the way it drives/handles (except for the lack of a turbo) but I'm sure those are coming in the future.

P.S. anybody fool around with tuning the computer on these things?
Old November 30th, 2007, 1:58 PM
CF Senior Member

the flickering headlight is most likely due to the AFM.
when it goes into 3 cyl mode.
Since you have the LTZ you have the 3.9 L.
There is a fix for that. early build 07's with the 3.9have that issue.
I have an 07 built in February of 07 and it does not have an issue.
YOu probably also had the tire pressure problem and remote with little distance- that is also fixable with a change in the box for the Remote keyless entry.
as for the e-brake.
theyre not longer called emergency brakes for a reason.
theyre now known as Parking brakes.
some lawsuit years ago about an e-brake that didnt stop a car or something- so now its called parking brake.
Old December 10th, 2007, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Just bought an '07 LTZ last week and noticed the instrument lights flickering this evening. I also noticed that the radio is a bit staticky. I'm also getting concerned about the tire pressure monitor now that I'm reading this thread.

I found alist of TSBs at http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2007/tsbs.shtml. I'm bringing my LTZ back to the dealer this week. On a side note, the dealer told me that the car is certified but I still don't have any paperwork, etc.

Should I have them check everything out and give me a clean bill of health to cover my a** or just have the flicker and tire pressure monitor looked at?
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
CF Senior Member

sounds to me like you just need the flicker and tire pressure monitor issues dealt with.
reference the above mentioned TSB's
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: rbarrios

sounds to me like you just need the flicker and tire pressure monitor issues dealt with.
reference the above mentioned TSB's
Just an FYI... the TSB calls for the ignition coil and ground straps to be replaced. Thought that was a little strange.
Old January 25th, 2009, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

We have a 2006 Impala LT with the 3500 and it does the same thing with flickering headlights and interior lights. It is very annoying for a new car to do this. Any fixes yet?
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default Mine does the same

I have a 2001 Impala and when it get warm inside (usually after about 15 minutes of driving), then hell breaks loose. The gages die and the headlights and radio go too after flickering for some seconds.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9qlLrQ6v5E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9qlLrQ6v5E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old February 18th, 2010, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 impala light flickering

I also have a 2007 impala with the 3.9, and I have had the same exact problem. I took it to my local Chevy dealer today and told them about the problem. Within 15 seconds, they pulled up the bulletin that was issued to dealers. The fix is to put in a new coil and ground strap. They did this under warranty, and it FIXED the problem. I can now finally drive at night without that annoying flickering.

Originally Posted by OHSEVENLTZ
I bought an '07 Impala LTZ in October. I noticed right away when driving at night that the instrument panel lights and the headlights would dim down and then go back to normal as I was driving. This happens all the time. Have had the car into the dealer and they have seen the problem, but have now way to fix. GM engineering has said there is no fix at this time. Has anyone else had this problem.

Quick Reply: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker