Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Intakes

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2007, 7:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes

I have a huge question about aftermarket intakes...
I have a 2004 3.4L impala. not LS or SS, just the base.... I was wondering what intake would work best and what is the diameter of th piping I need....I don't want the buy the wrong one and I'm relying on you guys to help me out..
I have some links below of intakes for sale on ebay that I'm considering.
please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions
thanks a lot

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...ayphotohosting

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CF-00...mZ230173169426

4. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CF-00...ayphotohosting
Old October 21st, 2007, 8:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Intakes

can anyone help me?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont think it matters the 3800 and 3400 are the same for the inlet I think so the intake for either will fit. dont go buy it based on this but im 99% sure either one will work, as for teh best I dont know......I used a CIA for a G6 with a 3900, from Dr Speed
Old January 16th, 2008, 5:18 PM
Impala Super Moderator

all of the ebay intakes are HORRIBLE...make ur own FWI or SLP WIZaired.......they all offer the kit
Old January 16th, 2008, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

try the following. http://www.globalautoshop.com/access...hevy_index.htm. BBCI858CH583

It's a sweet B&B intake. It's $161 shipped, but you do get what you pay for.

[sm=groupwave.gif]
Old January 16th, 2008, 5:43 PM
Impala Super Moderator

SLP CAI:
buy SLP
Galaxy Silver modified his to have a clear cover:
picture of modded SLP

Wizaired CAI: (when ordering state it is for the 3.4L)
buy Wizaired
How To Install Wizaired CAI

Parts I used were: 3' of the Intense ducting 3.5" diameter.
K&N 7" cone filter.
GM PCM tray #15995679
Small diameter plastic PVC pipe for PCM tray feet
Misc. screws, nuts, washers, etc.

A fenderwell intake is just like it sounds, an intake that draws fresh cold air from the space in the fender. But the problem is the triangular hole that the intake tube goes in has to be widened to allow the tube to fit thru. The way to do this is to put the ducting in place & outline with the marker to figure out how much to cut. Go ahead and consider another half inch to spare. With the airbox already out of the way, hold the Dremel pointing towards you like attempting a self inflicted wound. Holding it like normal doesn't work unless you're gonna lay across your engine to do this. Using both hands & holding the Dremel like you're gonna stab yourself (the cutting end is pointing down to your palm & not up thru your fingers), bend over the fender & cut along the line you marked. Its tough & you'll have to put new bits often b/c they catch on the curve & break. Its only cheap flexible cutting disks anyway but be careful.
The metal pointing down is tough & cutting the curve took a while but being patient & slow really helps. Once almost around, get some BIG plyers & wiggle back & forth on the pieces to be removed until they break off. File the remnants of sharp metal there & elsewhere as desired but I also covered the perimeter with duct tape so my tubing wouldn't rub on it at all. The Intense ducting just shoves down in there & I twisted mine in kinda like a screw until the one end could be connected & clamped to the MAF.
If you're comfortable with a drill, use the GM PCM tray to hold it down, but once again the confinements of the space make it easier said than done. Drill holes where the PCM tray holes sit on the car. Then secure the bolts thru the plastic of the tray, thru the PVC pipe used as feet, & thru that part of the car. The nuts & washers hold it in place from under the car in those 3 locations. I used long stainless bolts & washers as well as 1.5 inch long pieces of small PVC to act like feet since the bottom is uneven & the A/C evaporator is kinda in the way. I found a rubber grommet or stopper to further seperate the PCM & its tray from sitting directly on the A/C for the 4th corner of the tray.
The K&N air filter is clamped on the intake tube from the fender well so this means the front driver's wheel has to be off & the lining of the fender removed or at least unscrewed out of the way. The PCM just snaps into the tray & put the liner and wheel back on and its done!
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 3.4 and I got a 3.8 cold air intake that I had to modify but it was real easy and sounds great I got it from PFYC.COM hope this helps
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Forgreed, I would be deeply interested in greater detail of your cold air intake install. Also, do you have any photographs of the completed install?

Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2008, 1:39 PM
Impala Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HotSauce6226

SLP CAI:
buy SLP
Galaxy Silver modified his to have a clear cover:
picture of modded SLP

Wizaired CAI: (when ordering state it is for the 3.4L)
buy Wizaired
How To Install Wizaired CAI

Parts I used were: 3' of the Intense ducting 3.5" diameter.
K&N 7" cone filter.
GM PCM tray #15995679
Small diameter plastic PVC pipe for PCM tray feet
Misc. screws, nuts, washers, etc.

A fenderwell intake is just like it sounds, an intake that draws fresh cold air from the space in the fender. But the problem is the triangular hole that the intake tube goes in has to be widened to allow the tube to fit thru. The way to do this is to put the ducting in place & outline with the marker to figure out how much to cut. Go ahead and consider another half inch to spare. With the airbox already out of the way, hold the Dremel pointing towards you like attempting a self inflicted wound. Holding it like normal doesn't work unless you're gonna lay across your engine to do this. Using both hands & holding the Dremel like you're gonna stab yourself (the cutting end is pointing down to your palm & not up thru your fingers), bend over the fender & cut along the line you marked. Its tough & you'll have to put new bits often b/c they catch on the curve & break. Its only cheap flexible cutting disks anyway but be careful.
The metal pointing down is tough & cutting the curve took a while but being patient & slow really helps. Once almost around, get some BIG plyers & wiggle back & forth on the pieces to be removed until they break off. File the remnants of sharp metal there & elsewhere as desired but I also covered the perimeter with duct tape so my tubing wouldn't rub on it at all. The Intense ducting just shoves down in there & I twisted mine in kinda like a screw until the one end could be connected & clamped to the MAF.
If you're comfortable with a drill, use the GM PCM tray to hold it down, but once again the confinements of the space make it easier said than done. Drill holes where the PCM tray holes sit on the car. Then secure the bolts thru the plastic of the tray, thru the PVC pipe used as feet, & thru that part of the car. The nuts & washers hold it in place from under the car in those 3 locations. I used long stainless bolts & washers as well as 1.5 inch long pieces of small PVC to act like feet since the bottom is uneven & the A/C evaporator is kinda in the way. I found a rubber grommet or stopper to further seperate the PCM & its tray from sitting directly on the A/C for the 4th corner of the tray.
The K&N air filter is clamped on the intake tube from the fender well so this means the front driver's wheel has to be off & the lining of the fender removed or at least unscrewed out of the way. The PCM just snaps into the tray & put the liner and wheel back on and its done!
Its all right there
Old March 9th, 2008, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

I was actually speaking to Forgreed.... But thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Intakes