Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Low Brake Fluid Light

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Brake Fluid Light

My 2004 Impala LS has been giving random warning lights recently. I have searched the internet form similar symptoms but nothing has come up. Here is the brake down,
When I start the car all systems are normal. Place car in Drive and all systems are normal. It seems when I accelerate slightly above normal (i.e. turning into traffic), the "Low Brake Fluid" light appears in the dash message center. This is normally a sign that my pads are getting low. However, at the same time the "Low Brake Fluid" light turns on, so does the BRAKE light as well as the TRACTION OFF light. After driving about a mile or two down the toll way, the "Low Brake Fluid" light turns off, but the other two dash lights stay on. Pressing the traction control button does not turn the traction control back on. It seems that shutting the vehicle off, resets everything. Anyone run into this?
Thank you for your time and input,
Daane

Old November 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Low Brake Fluid Light

Yes, this problem also started around the time my floating speedometer problem appeared. I doubt they are related, but I wanted all the facts to be out in the open.
-Daane
Old March 17th, 2008, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

My '04 Impala has just started doing this...exact same symptoms...seems like when you shut car off it resets and goes away. Car has just over 50K miles.

Dan
Old March 17th, 2008, 9:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats an odd problem. Could be a faulty BCM?
Old March 17th, 2008, 6:35 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sound dumb, but have you checked the fluid level in the reservoir? Could be to a point where turning a corner will cause it to read low. Low fluid will cause the brake warning light and also disable the traction control system causing both lights to be on.
Old July 6th, 2012, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you fix the problem and how

Originally Posted by iamrmdog
My 2004 Impala LS has been giving random warning lights recently. I have searched the internet form similar symptoms but nothing has come up. Here is the brake down,
When I start the car all systems are normal. Place car in Drive and all systems are normal. It seems when I accelerate slightly above normal (i.e. turning into traffic), the "Low Brake Fluid" light appears in the dash message center. This is normally a sign that my pads are getting low. However, at the same time the "Low Brake Fluid" light turns on, so does the BRAKE light as well as the TRACTION OFF light. After driving about a mile or two down the toll way, the "Low Brake Fluid" light turns off, but the other two dash lights stay on. Pressing the traction control button does not turn the traction control back on. It seems that shutting the vehicle off, resets everything. Anyone run into this?
Thank you for your time and input,
Daane
iamrmdog did you find the cause of the above problem and if you did what is the fix. My 2004 Impala has a similar issue except the light stays on all the time. I tried disconnecting the battery didn't change a thing. Any suggestions.
Old July 7th, 2012, 8:18 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Sound dumb, but have you checked the fluid level in the reservoir? Could be to a point where turning a corner will cause it to read low. Low fluid will cause the brake warning light and also disable the traction control system causing both lights to be on.
Now why would someone bother to check the brake fluid level just because a light went on saying it should be checked?
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Camaro 69 I did check the fluid level. Before the light went on I had purchased Rotors and pads so I changed those first. I had poked around on a GM site and and got a few suggestion. So I have flushed (bleed) the brakes they needed it anyway the next thing is I ordered a new reservoir with fluid level sensor from Autozone. I am really trying to avoid putting in a BCM
Old June 1st, 2014, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same exact thing

Originally Posted by Patfromupnort
Hi Camaro 69 I did check the fluid level. Before the light went on I had purchased Rotors and pads so I changed those first. I had poked around on a GM site and and got a few suggestion. So I have flushed (bleed) the brakes they needed it anyway the next thing is I ordered a new reservoir with fluid level sensor from Autozone. I am really trying to avoid putting in a BCM
I have the exact problem occurring and I was wondering if you ever found the solution. 2003 monte carlo ss 110,xxx
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default low brake light on randomly

I see this is an older post, I hope someone has found Fix to the low brake light coming on by now. I have this issue too, with my wife's 2004 Base impala (Just under 50K mi). I also get a random floating Gas gauge, (I read another post were someone had a floating speedo), My wife's car also has the turn signals randomly not flash, Could there be a bad connection under the dash?

Quick Reply: Low Brake Fluid Light