Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Is my 2001 Impala possessed?

Old September 18th, 2006, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 2001 Impala possessed?

I have a 2001 Impala and it has recently started doing crazy things. Here's a list of symptoms:

- The interior lights flash on and off
- All of the alarms and alerts on the message center (airbag, service engine, security, etc.) flash and light up
- There are clicking sounds inside the car, they sound like they're coming from the dash
- The A/C cuts on and off, it will just blow hot air out mostly but cold air will blow out occasionally
- The stereo will lock and the red security light comes on
- The power locks won't work
- The temperature guage gets really hot

The problems occur randomly. It seems like the problems happen mostly when the car has sat in the sun for long periods of time. I am pretty much clueless when it comes to cars. I'm thinking that this is an electrical problem and that the car is not really dangerous to drive. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be. I'd really appreciate your help.
Old September 18th, 2006, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Is my 2001 Impala possessed?

Id personally say a computer problem though i could be something crossed somewhere that it shouldn't be. I personally would take it to a mechanic and have the computers error codes checked. They should be able to tell you the problem.

And i would personally quit driving it and pull the batt out for now.
Old September 19th, 2006, 1:21 PM
CF Active Member

DITTO! Computer problem.
Old October 11th, 2006, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

i had the same problem which i fixed....it turns out the battery that was in there before AC DElco (oem?) was leaking out of the positive terminal and corroded parts of the terminal connector cable that i couldnt see were corrodid but once cleaned and gently tightened, it seems to run fine now....btw the battery was also replaced

....so disconnect your battery cables and see if its leaking...if it is you need a new battery which sucks.....if it isnt leaking from where the cable screws in then i have no idea.....but if it is then unbolt the bar that runs above the battery and get a separate cable screw to put into the terminal when you disconnect your cable so that you dont spill acid all over the place.....clean out the cable connector when you get rid of the battery...
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

your bcm is going to crap. dealer has to program the bcm also.
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

I agree you need to take it to a mechanic but have him check the ignition switch. I've seen all of these exact things from an Impala and we finally tracked it down to the plastic around the ignition switch being broken. The lady drove it for 3 months before she saved up enough money to take it to our shop. After we replaced just about every electrical component and even took it to the dealership with no luck we tracked it to the switch.

Good luck!!