Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

My thoughts on 08 Impala

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2009, 1:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Impala is a nice car and with the 3.5L motor, it gets pretty decent fuel economy and is peppy I think. It can easily get 30+ ...depending on how you drive it.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave B
The Impala is a nice car and with the 3.5L motor, it gets pretty decent fuel economy and is peppy I think. It can easily get 30+ ...depending on how you drive it.
I can get a solid 32 and sometimes up to 34 on the interstate at 70 MPH. It has plenty of zip for me and is a comfortable ride.

A couple of cans of undercoating may help on the water splashing noise but that is something that should have been done at the factory.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 6:26 PM
CF Veteran

Dampening sound is what I was talking about. I know they put it on at the factory but you can be sure it's thin or just the minimum thickness. Kinda like builders put insulation in you attic, as thin as they can get away with (or R20 by code). Adding more won't hurt at all.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 9:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by osbornk
I've had 14 new cars and 60 or 70 used cars over the last 45 years and this car has less insulation on the floor than any I have had in the modern era (90s+). It reminds me of the VW Thing in regards to insulation. My first new car was a 73 Impala that averaged 10 MPG and didn't have much power and my second was a 76 LTD. I've had everything from an Opel Kadette to a Lincoln Town Car and this Impala gets the 2nd best fuel mileage of any of them. The only car I have had that was more economical was a 1980 Honda Civic CVCC. My 08 Impala gets better than my 67 Opel Kadette, 93 Subaru Loyale, 7 Corvairs, 3 Metropolitans, 59 Simca, 68 Sunbeam Arrow, 2 K cars, Rambler 62 American, 71 Toyota Corona, 61 VW bug and a bunch of larger cars.
You went through like 2 a year? Sorry but thats just silly. That is, unless you have a couple of wives and several daughters who are all terrible drivers.

And every new era car (~1990 and up) I have ever ridden in make horrible noises going through puddles. (Gwampa, I know what you're thinking ).
I drive trucks and SUVs... so comparitively, any car makes terrible noises in the water.
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Splish splash I was taken a bath.....yeah it's probably more the noise from the drive components making noise moving through the water. Hey, what about the tranny code? Good, bad or shouldn't I ask?
Old April 6th, 2009, 4:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
You went through like 2 a year? Sorry but thats just silly. That is, unless you have a couple of wives and several daughters who are all terrible drivers.

And every new era car (~1990 and up) I have ever ridden in make horrible noises going through puddles. (Gwampa, I know what you're thinking ).
I drive trucks and SUVs... so comparitively, any car makes terrible noises in the water.
That's not that many cars if you think about it. Consider how many car you can have over 45 years if you have a car, the wife has a car, 2 kids have a car each, you have a truck and the antique in the detached garage. The first 9 years I drove, I worked at a used car lot and I would drive a car until I got it fixed up to sell. I would sell it and buy another. If you do this 4 or 5 times a year, it doesn't take long to have a lot of cars. My company cars were cycled through two years each and over 31 years, I had 14 new ones and one used that I acquired from the fired employee I replaced.

Anyway, my Impala has more splash noise than all of the cars I have had in the modern era (90+) that was mid-sized or larger. I didn't expect it to be nearly as quiet as my 93 Park Avenue of 98 Town Car but I expected it to be quieter than my 94 Intrepid or the three Mercury Sables that were forced on me.
Old April 10th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

So now I have to purposely drive through some big puddles and see.......but there aren't any around right now.
Old April 13th, 2009, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave B
So now I have to purposely drive through some big puddles and see.......but there aren't any around right now.
I wish I could say that. My motorcycles are sitting in the garage waiting for dry weather. I hate riding around in a cage when the bikes are sitting at home.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Impala Police Package

My agency has bought about 8 or 9 Impalas since 2001 and while I like them as daily drivers for most people, GM has missed the mark on the police car market. Front wheel drive cars dont take the abuse that RWD cars do it seems. The acceleration is not there nor is the high speed stability.
I have driven one for a few months though, as an unmarked admin car and it did well under those conditions. I hope GM follows Ford and Dodge's lead and makes a v8 RWD car for the PD market in the coming years.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by texascop2
My agency has bought about 8 or 9 Impalas since 2001 and while I like them as daily drivers for most people, GM has missed the mark on the police car market. Front wheel drive cars dont take the abuse that RWD cars do it seems. The acceleration is not there nor is the high speed stability.
I have driven one for a few months though, as an unmarked admin car and it did well under those conditions. I hope GM follows Ford and Dodge's lead and makes a v8 RWD car for the PD market in the coming years.
With the new govt. regulations regarding fuel efficiency and pollution, I suspect it will go the other way. The V8 RWD will disappear from Ford and Mopar and you will have FWD police vehicles from all that survive.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on 08 Impala